Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 chevy pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel, Jul 22, 2008.

1. fuel

fuel

I know alot of you don't like fenderless, hoodless, pickups but I wanted to post these just the same. It has been mainly me and a student of mine working on it for the last few months. We're both pretty proud of it.

We z'ed the frame, build the front suspension (except for the springs of course). This includes the front, middle, and rear spring mounts for the front suspension. We built brass radius rods for it. We also built our own front and rear motor mounts.

The pic is of the front motor mount. I took some 2x4 mild steel tubing and cut it at a 45 on both ends. Capped it and made the top bracket and welded it on there. Also, we took the old torque tube and turned them down on the lathe and I hole sawed the tubing. We then took them and put them in the holes and I TIG welded them up and polished it out.

I'll post some pics of the rear motor mounts later. They are cool, too.

I made some radiator supports out of 1/2 stainless round stock (threaded them for 1/2-13 UNC).

I even had to machine a new distributor shaft as the other was too short.

The engine runs and sounds good, thanks to Jason (my student).

We have to build a flatbed for it. I have a keg for the gas tank. We're going to a junkyard to get a driveshaft this week. I'm building a grill out of stainless round bar and some brazing rods. LOL.

There is plenty more of stuff we built that I forgot. Oh yeah, the cab is channeled 4" and the engine is raised 4.25".

It will be painted black and gold when it is finished. We hope to have it running and driving by homecoming so we can drive it in the parade. We probably won't get the bodywork completed by them, but we'll probably do that during Christmas break.

Attached Files:

2. fuel

fuel

Here are some more pics. That is a 235 from a '56 pu, the rearend we got from a junkyard is from a '62 chevy pu and the transmission is mid 60s chevy 3 speed (maybe a '64 impala).

Attached Files:

3. fuel

fuel

The suspension is a semi-elliptical type design. We capture the front middle and rear of the spring. The front spring mount is at an agle because it has to be (the frame gets narrower as it goes towards the front of the truck). Also, the axle has about a 5 degree anle towards the center.

All radii have been sanded by hand - and they all match.

Attached Files:

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the workmanship is first class !!

5. fuel

fuel

Thanks a lot, man. That means a lot to us. I was beginning to think nobody liked ground up builds anymore. LOL.

This is both mine and Jason's first build. I've helped out on some others and have done a brit bike and an old ski boat before but this is the first hotrod.

Here is another pic of the radius rod. It is threaded for a rod end bearing. The large diameter ends are 1.25" and the small diameter is .625". It is threaded for a 3/4-16 LH and RH rod end bearing. Jason machined that on the lathe. It looks really good in person.

Attached Files:

6. fuel

fuel

Not that anybody cares, but here is what I've been up to...

Built a steering box mount out of 1/2" plate. I gussetted it as well. Do you think it is stout enough? :rolleyes: It was the only plate steel I had laying around that was close enough to the right size, so it is what I used. It's a little heavy, but it'll work. The first pic is of the steering box mounted and the next pic is of the rear of the steering box bracket so that you can see the gussetts.

Attached Files:

7. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

i think that looks pretty damn cool/impressive
    keep us updated on it, i like the lod trucks

8. steeljunkieII

steeljunkieII

looks good I like it

9. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

[​IMG]

you do good work
    truck looks great

10. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

While this is not my style, the work you have done is very impressive. Keep us posted and keep up the quality!

11. BOHICA

BOHICA

You're right, I don't like trucks like that, but you guys really did a good job on it. I'm impressed. :)

12. fuel

fuel

Thanks alot guys. I'll post pics whenever I get the chance.

I forgot to mention that if you are looking at the bracket from the bottom going up, the two ears with the third holes in them are welded on and ground smooth so that it looks like it is one piece. I wish I had enough plate to make it as one piece, but again, I had to cobble it together from what I had. I had some 1/2" x 2" flat bar that I used for the ears.

All the large holes are done with a bi-metal hole saw (like the kind plumbers use). It is slow, but it works. For something that is not critical like this, I use those instead of boring it. They make some badass holesaws, but I don't want to pony up the cash for them.

13. fuel

fuel

Yeah, I am "trying" to do it as low budget as possible (I'm a teacher, so $ is not something I have a lot of. LOL). The rear fenders were in horrible shape. I would say about 60% of it was rusted out. It looked more like a screen door than a fender. The front fenders were workable, but one of them had this way cool "fix" on it and I just can't bear to fix the fix, you know what I mean? Since I can't use the fenders and I don't want to buy any, a fenderless, flatbed truck is the best option. Besides, I suck at bodywork and painting so the less I have to do of that, the happier I am. ;)

14. draggin37

draggin37

suspension looks alot like mine...where are your shackles?

15. hunter1111

hunter1111

man this truck looks sick, i swear ive seen it before? I need some stuff machined for mine after you get your stuff done!

16. fuel

fuel

Updates.

We've been working hard although you can't tell it. LOL. First few shots are some more over all pics of the truck. In one of them, you can kinda see the brass drag link. It is made out of 1.25" or 1.375" diameter brass rod and weighs what feels like 20 lbs. LOL.

Attached Files:

17. fuel

fuel

The radius rod support gusset is tacked in place. Used 1/4" plate and holesawed it. Used some round stock to make the curve smooth.

I've never seen anyone do door hinges like this before. My dad (RIP) was the only person I've ever seen use them as hinges and he used them on bbq pits. Worked great. So I had some 80 roller chain laying around and made some door hinges in kind of a tribute to him. They work awesome. This is just my prototype and when I get finished I will make them out of stainless steel. They are just tacked right now. There is also a backing plate behind them so that they don't mess up the sheetmetal. The bolts are the only 10-24s I had laying around. I had fastenal order me some stainless ones. The hinges give it an industrial look, which is kinda what we are going for. They look WAY better in person.

Attached Files:

18. fuel

fuel

Worked on the grill. It's not nowhere near complete, but it is starting to shape up. The steering is complete. A bunch of odd and ends are done. Slowly...

Attached Files:

19. fuel

fuel

BTW, that is 1/2" stainless rod for the two radiator supports. Spanning the distance between them (behind the radiator) is 3/8" ss rod with tig welded split collars to attach them. The top and bottom grill bar is 3/8" ss. The rest are 1/4" brazing rods.

Disregard the fact that they are not prefect yet. I have to do some tweaking. I also have to fab up a center bar and I'm going to work some sheetmetal pieces for the top and sides of the grill. Lots of work left to do.

20. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Again, very impressive work on this build. The hinges are killer- never seen anything like it before.

21. hunter1111

hunter1111

hinges look killer...make me some! make me some!

22. I like those hinges...never thought of or seen that before...cool idea...truck looks good to me...I have a 37 international that I was selling for a friend but it looks like its gonna be mine and I like what you have done...might have to "borrow" a couple of your ideas...

coming soon: rodtees.com

23. fuel

fuel

Thanks for the compliments, guys. We really appreciate it.

No problem, Hunter. Whenever you bring the 34 up to the 'ville we can fab some up. I'd rather build it with the truck here so that I can make sure everything lines up correctly. If not, whenever I make new ones out of stainless, you can have my old ones. We can trade for some bodywork! LOL.

Oddrodgarage, if you, or anyone else, wants to know how I make anything, just let me know. All of these parts have been made the just manual machines and some can be made with just a drill press, a grinder, a welder, and a bandsaw (although you can use a cutting wheel on a die grinder or grinder). Patience is the main thing you need to have, because there may be more than one part made before you get it right.

The hinges look mean as hell in person. All I ask is if someone uses the hinge idea is to give me props. LOL.

24. eharnden

eharnden

the truck looks awesome, are the leaf springs and the front axle out of the original truck. i am loking for a way to lower mine while still using some of the original suspension parts. any tips on this set up would be appreciated

25. fuel

fuel

Yeah, eharden, it is the original springs and front axle. We wanted to use them because I'm too cheap to buy a setup. LOL. To be honest we don't know how well it is going to work. I think it is going to be alright with a panhard bar, but we may have to build some different radius rods that are longer and connect on the side of the frame. I think we may encounter some bump steer. It is kind of an experiment, though. We wanted to do something different. Give us about one more month and I can tell you how well it works.

Like any project, there is always something you would do different. This truck is LOW. Maybe too low for the crappy streets in our town. I've seen better streets in Mexico. LOL. The other thing I would change is the front suspension. I would probably run the springs like in a Miller race car (basically a double quarter elliptical) and use normal radius rods (like a spilt wishbone). Of course, I'd have to fab them, but that ain't a big deal.

26. eharnden

eharnden

I also am looking for a cheap way to lower my truck but mine is a '36 chevy and i think that the front axle on yours is a little wider than mine. Another option that my dad and i have discussed is the ford front end but most of those setups are too expencive for our low-cost build so we were looking for other alternatives. Do you know of anyone that manufactures a setup like yours. Thanks for the info.

27. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

What gear ratio do you plan to run in the rear end? Won't the 3 spd behind the 235 really limit your mph? Build looks great guys!

28. fuel

fuel

eharnden: Those setups are high. I about passed out when I saw the price tag on some of them. I personally think getting a stock early ford frontend and splitting the wishbones may be cheaper and easier in the long run. (I actually aquired a bunch of them after I'd already built my front suspension. LOL.). I don't know what you can get the old stock ones for, but surely they aren't as high as the aftermarket ones. I got mine with a whole bunch of A parts from an old friend. Another good thing about the ford front suspension is that you can run 5 lug wheels which will be a TON easier to find. I had a hard time finding good looking 6 lug wheels. I could could find ugly billet ones all day long, though. I would search for the Ford front suspension and use that. It is a well used design and it requires less fabrication than our crazy design.

Big T: The rearend gear ratio is 3.90. I would love to have a different tranny, but I got this one for $25 and since I don't live but 15 miles from work, I don't have too far to go. LOL. Alot of my parts came from friends or junkyards so I have to take what I can get. I really want one of those old Borg Warner overdrive units. If I can come across one, I'll swap it out.

29. fuel

fuel

The reaction I have gotten from the kids since they've came back to school has been crazy. The ones that saw it as just a pile of junk are amazed at what me and Jason accomplished over the summer. They love it.

I've had more people come over to the department to see this. It has been great. Even the campus police come by to check it out and they love it. For the first time in my life I am getting along awesome with a bunch of cops. Crazy. After getting to know them, they are really nice. I actually enjoy it when the cops come to visit. LOL.

One kid was walking by the shop one night when I was working on it and he came over to check it out. It turns out he used to raise Sprint cars and said "I'll sweep, pick up, or whatever. I just want to be a part of this." Well, I can't say "no" to that! So now he is learning some more stuff and is going to take some of my classes next semester. He's a great guy and I'm glad to have him aboard.

Another one of my students that just got back from summer break has been machining some parts for the filler neck and cap out of stainless. He's learning alot about stainless now after a few broken inserts. LOL.

We built a subframe and frame for the bed now. Pedals and linkages are complete. Pipes are almost done. Have to grind the welds and polish it out. Working on the cap and filler neck for the keg gas tank. Man, there is a lot done that I need to take pics of.

The pipes are kind of funky, but we like 'em. They look way better in person and they sound so sweet. God, I love that sound.

We are still hoping to have it ready for the homecoming parade and I think it will make quite a stir. It is amazing what kind of reaction we are getting from our little hot rod. Its been a blast.

Attached Files:

30. eharnden

eharnden

the truck looks so cool, but the front end is a little to far out front for my truck.
    Good work.