Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 40 C00P’S BIG ADVENTURE

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Irishjr, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Hi Folks-

In this thread I am going to tell of 40 COOP’s BIG ADVENTURE. But first some background:

40 COOP is the license plate on my 1940 Ford. You may have read my thread about my trip out from Maryland to the Bonneville Salt Flats to meet up with the Doug Rice Coupe in 2012:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...iii-please-do-not-post-on-this-thread.724285/

I have owned 40 COOP since 1972. I bought it in Cleveland. It had been owned by the barber across from where I worked, and I cried when he sold it for $550 (I was knee-deep in raising a family), but bought it two years later for $450. The barber had pulled a froze-up Caddy engine out and replaced it with a ’46 Flathead. When I got the car to my home on the west side of Cleveland, a guy in my neighborhood said he had brought it from Tennessee (it was recognizable because of the ’39 taillights on a ’40 Deluxe Coupe). He said it had a Cadillac engine and a funny tank in the back….a MOONSHINER (I guess it has had other big adventures in its history)!

This is John Rosati, the barber's son with the car in 1968:

IMG.jpg

I then moved to central Ohio to start a new job in May 1972. I built a house in the country and, in 1979, I turned my 1940 Ford Coupe into 40 COOP. I chopped the top (my first chop), built a new chassis with a ’69 Camaro front clip, 307/PG drivetrain and built it as a typical 80s street rod:

40 COOP-1980 reduced.jpg

In 1988, I moved to Maryland to become a consulting engineer specializing in wastewater treatment plant design (my wife named it the Sewage Handling Intelligence Team). In 1993, I cut the front coils, put lowering blocks in the rear, added fender skirts and wide whites to start 40 COOP down the path of a more traditional Kustom:

DSCN1099R.JPG

Having driven my Plymouth, 33 COOP, to Bonneville twice, I developed a bad case of Salt Fever. Then when I saw that Don Richardson was going to the Salt with the restored Doug Rice Coupe, my plans for 40 COOP took an extra turn. The Doug Rice Coupe was the car that made me fall in love with the 1939-40 Ford Coupes back in 1957. I decided to channel 40 COOP and make her into a traditional chopped-and-channeled Kustom (along with 291 DeSoto hemi/700R4), followed by a trip to the Salt to meet up with the Doug Rice Coupe where it had competed from 1952-54, and had been featured in HRM in December 1954. My trip, with Jay Fitzhugh accompanying me on the way out, was covered in TRJ #57. I thought that was the big adventure for 40 COOP.

DSC08959.JPG

But the adventure continues………

I am one of the Rusty Nuts, who put on Jalopyrama in Annapolis, Maryland. Every year I lead a tour of the out-of-town invitees around the city of Annapolis and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on set-up day:

tour.jpg

At Jalopyrama 11, in October 2014, Lee Pratt’s Nomad was on display inside the Armory:

088-vi.jpg

Lee didn’t go on the tour, but when I got back from it, he took me aside and talked about a special exhibit that he and Roy Brizio were putting together to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the 1940 Ford at the Grand National Roadster Show in January……..and he invited me to bring 40 COOP!

I was honored to have been invited (I’ve never been to the GNRS), but, because of the cost and a knee replacement scheduled for two days after the show, I politely declined.

That night I told my wife, who was unfortunately at her sister’s deathbed in Ohio, about the invitation and how I had declined it. She was proud of me for having been invited and sorry that I had declined it. I was floating high just for having been invited!

The next morning, during Jalopyrama, I received a text from my brother-in-law, Winston Campbell:

“Judy says go for it. Don’t worry about cost. Birthday present.”

I actually cried (for happy) right at the show. What a wonderful present from a wonderful wife of 49-1/2 years! Thank you Judy!

I rescheduled the knee replacement for February 24.

Thus, this thread is about 40 COOP’s BIG ADVENTURE……..her going to the Grand National Roadster Show! Pomona here we come……..

The last three weeks have been dedicated to prepping her for the journey. I had a couple of bumps on the driver’s side fenders to fix, plus remove a lot of road rash. All four fenders have been repainted and the car generally spruced up. 40 COOP is not a show car. I am not a perfectionist on body work. All my work is amateur by the standards I have seen on the various threads on the H.A.M.B…..but this car is about the style. It is a thirty-footer, but I did it all myself.

Last Friday, 40 COOP, was loaded on a trailer to begin her BIG ADVENTURE:

DSC00614.JPG

She is sharing her berth with a Lamborghini and two Ferraris. The driver, Eli Tipei, said that the one of the Ferrari owners said that his was one of only five of that model in the USA. Poo-Poo on him….…there’s only one like MY 40 COOP!

DSC00615.JPG

I will be flying out on January 20 along with a couple of friends, Brooke Dyer and John Goodman, to meet up with 40 COOP and join her in having some FUN!

I will be updating this thread throughout the show and until 40 COOP is safely back home.

Stay tuned…….

Jim Ireland, AKA Irish Jr.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Good on you, sir! I will be following your adventure. You only go around once (as far as I know) and having a spouse like yours makes it all the sweeter.

3. That's a helluva story and history...Have fun be safe,and nice COOP!

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Cool story, I'll be watching for the coverage. Enjoy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Wives like that are what makes it all happen and you have obviously been a pretty damn good husband to keep her. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and keep us informed .

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be safe and have a great time.

7. belair

belair

Great stories, cool car. Thanks for sharing.

8. "A thirty footer but I did it all myself".........love it!! Love the car too. Glad your getting to go. Have a blast for those of us stuck here in the deep freeze. Tim

9. studebaker46

studebaker46

what a great story. this great hobby we participate is made possible for the majority of us by great wives who, if not active in the sport they are extremely tolerant of what we do. have fun trip and good luck with knee tom

10. Cool story,car and wife,,,lucky man.

I will be following the adventure. HRP

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What a reward for your efforts, congradulations. I will be watching.

12. Congrats again, Jim! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. A great read so far!!....and I'm sure there will be more good reading and photos to come! Have a safe trip!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  13. I'm looking forward to the rest of the big adventure. Besides the build process I like the big adventures the best.

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

IrishJr,
    Congrats on the invite. It will be great to have a chopped 40 in the mix. Will Dons coupe be there?
    Here's my Dad's purple 40. I think you've chatted with him a few times.
    Enjoy the show!

[​IMG]

15. desotot

desotot

Cool story, keep it coming.

16. What a great story, Jim, can't wait to follow along here with your adventure. That's a very special honor to be selected for display at the GNRS and 75th anniversary of the '40. Thanks for taking us along with you.:)..............Don.

i.rant likes this.
  17. The Hemi Guy

The Hemi Guy

Great history Irish Junior.
    Thanks for the e-mail and update.
    I will be watching from DownUnder. Good to see you will be having fun UpOver
    Been 4 years since I saw you and 40 COOP at your home in Maryland.
    Nice to see you transitioned from a 'sodium diet' to a 'low fat diet'.
    Best regards Jim from the Downunder Hemi Nut
    - Rob

18. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

47 years with my lady....and I have always said..."when your wife is proud of you, she will be your greatest supporter".
    You have just proven that, as so many others have. Dang, '39 Coops are always on the side...but glad that they are included in some way with the 40's. Love the story and the color of your car....Hummmmm...knew I love this color.
    See you at the GNRS....it would be an honor to meet you. 021nbhg.jpg

19. TJ2

TJ2
    from Bel Air,Md

Jim, have a great time out in LA. Having just gotten back into this addiction since I retired, I didn't realize the history and culture of Hot Rodding in Maryland. Seems like almost every week now I meet someone that has a story to tell and an garage full of vintage Hot Rods or Customs. Hope I have the opportunity to meet you someday.
    Good luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Have fun Jim, we'll keep everything under control here in frigid Maryland! :)

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thats a Kool story. Hey you only go around once you might as well enjoy it while your here!!!!!!!

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. 117harv

117harv

Great story, great looking COOP, congrats on your invite, will be following along with the updates.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

It will be great to see you and 40 COOP at GNRS.

24. ...............I look forward to your shots, Dan, from the GNRS.....Don.

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Jim, Congratulations on what you have achieved.
    Your dedication to your 40 is truly an inspiration to the little guy
    in his garage doing what he (or she) like to do.
    Have a safe trip.

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Now it's up to you to keep us up to date on the adventure....I'll get mine on Monday mornings but the others will be waiting patiently. ;-)

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

See you in two weeks!

28. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, I told you at last year's Rodder's Journal Revival how much I enjoyed walking out of my motel room each morning and seeing 40COOP right outside my door at Bonneville. I'm really happy that you and the COOP will be at GNRS, and especially happy for all the rodders who have never seen your car in person. I was planning on GNRS again this year, but it's not happening for me, and it hurts even more because I, too, am a '40 owner.

Enjoy your trip!

vic

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great read. A long time in the making and a few guises along the way.

30. Congrats on the COOP's journey so far, can't wait for the updates. Tell John I said "Hi"!
    Richard