Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 Buick tailights in a '40 Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Anybody have a '40 Ford with '40 Buick tailights installed? Any pics? That was a trick deal in the '40's.

2. alchemy

alchemy

My Dad's coupe had '50 Buick taillights in the '50's. Not what I'd call a "trick deal".

3. mj40's

mj40's

No thanks! I will stick to my 40 stockers.

4. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Hmmm..so much for that idea. :)

5. I'm sure there are any number of different taillights you could put on a '40 Ford, but the fastest way to ruin the looks of a car is to start changing stuff just for the sake of changing it. Identify the most aesthetically pleasing things about the '40 Ford body style, leave those things alone, and make subtle changes that enhance the best things about what made you want a '40 in the first place. The '40 Ford chevron taillights are among the most attractive units of all time, they are in character with the overall styling of the car, and I think they fall under the category of "it ain't broke, don't fix it." Having said that, if you're going to change them, let me make two suggestions in the interest of safety to reduce your risk of being rear ended. Choose a taillight with at least as much lens surface area as the '40 lights, no less. The driver behind you is used to the huge taillights on late model cars, so our old cars have an inherently higher risk of getting hit in the rear. Also stock Ford taillights from '40 on back were mounted too low, '38-'39 being the worst, almost at the bottom of the fender. Higher mounted taillights are more easily seen by the driver behind you. I have '40 car taillights mounted in the fenders on my '38 Ford pickup, but they are several inches higher than they were mounted on a '40 car.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here's one. This is Earl Bruce's '40; he's the ORIGINAL OWNER, and the car was chopped before WW2. I don't particularly like the car, but its history is neat, and I actually think the taillights look quite good on it.

[​IMG]

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

those tail light fit the curve of the fender nice. Studes?

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Did you notice the title of the thread?

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here's a '40 with the Stude lights. They're taller than the Buicks, and come to a point at the top:

[​IMG]

11. I thank you !

12. alchemy

alchemy

Hmmm. '41 Studebakers look so good in a '40 Ford. Wonder where a guy could find a pair of those?

SPAMOLA \/ \/ \/

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

^^ Those are beautiful. Nice job!

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Those look nice, but '40 taillights are some of my favorites, so I'd have a hard time swapping them out! But on a '39, HELL YEAH! ;) :D

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If my money were right I'd be putting those on my '38 Buick, that's for sure... I love those lights.