Register now to get rid of these ads!

40-48 Chev-M II or Sub frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldcardoc, May 2, 2011.

1. oldcardoc

oldcardoc
    from western NC

What is your preferance M II or GM sub frame frt end and why??
    Just doin my home work, Thanks

2. Retrorod

Retrorod

I'd call the boys at Fatman Fab. They have some really nice pieces that work and fit perfect, no bump steer and plenty of alignment adjustment. Do it right the first time.

Doing a junkyard subframe is a pain.

3. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I used a Chassis Engineering Inc front end... Based on MII but all BOLT ON!! It is super simple to install and rock solid!!

-COS

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I gotta sub in mine--go with the MII. i've been told they don't ride as good,b ut he kits have to fit better than the sub.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I too recommend the Chassis Engineering bolt in system. They make quality parts, relatively simple to install, clean installation, no modification of core support & front sheet metal. As for ride, that depends on selecting the front springs and shocks carefully. It's easy to put too stiff springs in place. Chassis Engineering can probably assist with that issue.

Ray

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I put a stock MII crossmember in mine about 20 years ago, without any problems. I'd rather use the MII instead of a subframe, I just didn't like the idea of hacking the front off, at the cowl, and adapting something else onto the front.

7. oldcardoc

oldcardoc
    from western NC

Thanks guys, I used both Heidts & Fatman but that was in the 80's & early 90's. I've also been at Fatmans shop before. I just wanted some in put as that was a while ago and I never did a 40's Chev...

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Love me some CE products--don't know about the front end, but I will remind you that "bolt in" means just that--installs with bolts. not necessarily faster or easier (drilling rivits out of this chassis with the body still on is a pain in the ass--speak from experience with the rear spring install.

9. aaggie

aaggie

Bolt in is best with the old Chevies. I used Jim Meyer Racing. It it a work of art and ride height is adjustable four inches by moving a few bolts. They use late model Chevelle spindles and such so replacement parts are easy to get and stronger than the M2 stuff. It also comes with Flaming River rack and pinion.

Pricey but worth it.....

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just for the record, The MMII spindles are NOT weak by any standard. The OEM units are forged and use the same bearings as heavier cars in the Ford lineup. In addition to that, the MMII's had their engines centered over the "front axle", putting more weight on the parts than is generally recognized and they were engineered accordingly. Whereas the typical vehicle into which they are swapped have the engines somewhat more rearward and lessen the weight carried by the front end parts.

None of that is to take away from the unit you chose to use, just correcting the common perception that OEM MMII parts are not strong enough.

Ray

11. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

You are right about the MII spindle strength. These are used in many dirt track racing applications, (take a look at the Speedway motors Catalog). They are forged and nearly industructable.