Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 40-42Willys,US Navy Pick-ups?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Seems like I've read or seen pictures of gray 40's Willys Pick-ups (not jeeps)
    used by the Navy in WW2. Can anyone varifiy this?
    I've done searches and not found anything on this.

Thanks
    Mark

2. 62rebel

62rebel

you'll see them if you search Pearl Harbor or the Phillipines WW2 pictures, but as far as specifically getting a pic of a Willys by name, not so much. maybe search Naval Air Station and stateside Naval base pics from the period. keep in mind, they were work trucks and they worked hard for a living; only a few made it into civilian hands eventually. i HAVE seen them in pictures from WW2 but then again i studied History and have seen a LOT of reference material over the years!

3. careyohio

careyohio

My son has one. 1941 model. It was used at camp Perry here in Ohio and sold to a farmer Near Toledo. Has the tire size and air pressure stenciled on the lower side of the bed. Originally had a canvas ( covered wagon style ) cover over the bed but it got lost some where along the line.
    See my photo album .

4. Thanks for the info. I looked at the pic in your album C ohio. That's what I was looking for. Might have seen some in some movies too.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Not to hijack this thread but to broaden it I went AWOL once (OK a couple 3 times, Marines) in the early '70 in Seattle, the Navy picked me up in a Anglia Thames Panel that was built specifically for transporting prisoners wire mesh and all , made my day! Navy Grey of course!

6. The mighty little Jeep was hugely popular during war time. A smple 4 cylinder,4 speed kept them going almost forever. The Army,Airforce and even the Navy had them. Some standard jeeps had the seats moved way forward so the engine sat in between them. It was covered with a metal dog house.It had a small truck like cab. A Buddie of mine had one until his death a few years back. He had long steep hill on his acreage. He would start the engine at the bottom of the hill.fire up the engine ,put the tranny in bull low and pop the clotch, He would then swing sideways in his seat to easier talk to his passenger.The jeep just crept flawlessly up the hill on its own.Impressive for a vintage jeep. Jeep was farned out and was made in many places. So mant places it led to lawsuites over who actually owned Jeep,and the vechicles themselves. There are many Jeep clubs and lots clain Jeep as their own including Willys. The internet should have lots of information. It should be very interesting. AMC even got int it and also I heard Chryco has contracts for drivetrains, Have fun my curios friend!:D

7. 62rebel

62rebel

the vehicle you're referring to is an FC or "Forward Control" Jeep; not an MB or C-type design at all. they were VERY popular with farmers, rural fire depts, forestry workers, and the design did get farmed out overseas practically everywhere. IIRC, there are still versions of it being made.

you will see the most examples of actual wartime vehicles in movies made during or right after the war, but don't expect to see the same vehicle twice, as the film producers didn't think anybody would notice if in one scene there was a '39 Plymouth and in the next somehow it became a '40 Ford....

8. Musta been pretty cramped:(. Love Thames Panels.:)