Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 & 41 Plymouth fender interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stonebird, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Stonebird

Stonebird

Can someone confirm if 40 and 41 Plymouth front fenders will interchange? I have a complete 41 and a 40 that is missing the front. The rear fenders on the 40 are nicer I would like to use all 40 fenders on the 41. I know they have different style lines but will 40's bolt up to the 41 front end?

Thanks in advance.

2. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

if it hasn't been answered by this evening, i'll grab my interchange manual (if it goes back that far) and look it up.

3. Stonebird

Stonebird

Bttt for the evening crowd.

4. Easy answer.......YEP..........I have both a 1940 Dodge, an Oz built one thats based on and uses 1940 USA Plymouth fenders as shown from the factory and I also have a 1941 Plymouth Coupe built in Sth Africa using USA sourced parts..........fenders will swap from either car to the other........tho' having just rechecked both there is a slight variation in the curvature at the rear edge of the front fenders where they meet the body shell, however I am about 99% certain that they will interchange........see pics....andyd

Attached Files:

5. Stonebird

Stonebird

Well in case any one is interested, I went out after work today and tried to match my 41 front parts to the 40 cowl just to see how close they are. In short, the cowls are different. Where the fender and the filler panel attach, the cowl is a different shape. I'm pretty sure I can't put 40 fenders on a 41 car without major metal work. The bolt holes in the cowls are in different locations. Lower few holes would work but top ones are lower and/or further forward on a 40. Judging by the location of the upper bolt hole, it looks like the top if the 40 fenders must be an inch or so lower, so the 40 filler panel must drop down further to mate. The hood seems to match the top part of the cowl but of course there is no provision on the cowl for the hinges. With some massaging i'm pretty sure I can interchange the complete front. Worst case would be switch out part of the cowl. I wanted to use the complete 41 car except with 40 fenders and avoid cutting up the cowl. After reevaluating the whole situation I think I will use the 40 body with the 41 front, even though I like the style of the 40 fenders better. 40 floors are best and the title I have is for the 40. Condition of the rear fenders 40 vs. 41 is really a toss up. My 41 right rear fender has some damage but is repairable. So, I guess I have a plan, unless of course someone knows of a complete, cheap, 40 front close to me. Any of your observations are still welcome.

Just thought I should put my findings down in writing in case anyone else looks at this thread for info.

6. Stonebird

Stonebird

Update-
    I picked up a pair of cheap 40 fenders just to compare and possibly use if I find the rest of a 40 front. I matched up the lower rear corners of a left and right since it looks like 40 and 41 both do attach to the rocker in the same spot. In the picture the 40 fender is in front. While they are roughly the same shape, you can see the 40 fender is not as tall at the rear and shorter lengthwise also.

Attached Files: