Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40/41 FORD PU QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can one of you with a truck run out and give me a measurement on the radiator? I'm looking for the height of the radiator (top tank) over the top of the frame rail.

I do not have any sheet metal on the frame yet. I have a new radiator installed that seems to be sitting low. My fan is nearly 2 inches above the core and I have 4 inches at the bottom of the fan to the bottom of the core.

How high can I lift the radiator and not interfere with the hood latch. I am hoping to raise the radiator 3 inches to split the difference and center the fan. It will also make putting hoses on a hell of a lot easier.

Not a great picture but all I have at work today. The radiator is built for a 40/41 truck, it has the mounting brackets up on the sides not on the bottom so the radiator is sitting below the frame a ways.
    You can see the fan blade is not at the top (about one o'clock) and already at the top of the core.
    upload_2019-11-22_10-50-16.png

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. I think that the measurement you want is '39/'40 not '40/41. I know that this isn't much help but now maybe someone will come up with an answer for ya.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bill,
    I am raising my radiator 3" to get the fan closer to center. Mike McKennett (Restoration and Reproductions) dropped by, and recommended mounting it 3" higher, he has done this before.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is exactly what I wanted to hear Marty! I've talked to Mike before, nice guy with a ton of information.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.

5. Good tip, thanks! Wish I could get started on my truck.
    The low slung radiator mount was to accommodate the crank driven flathead fan, if I'm not mistaken.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is how I understand it. The cleanest way to lift the radiator is to lower those mounts on the side of the core. There appears to be exactly 3" (or slightly less) to the bottom of the core. If I cut off and weld the brackets back on lower it would raise the radiator and look correct. 3" spacers would raise the existing brackets above the top of the frame rail and look like ass IMHO.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Just a fleeting thought here. How tall is the frame at the rad mount point? Close to 3"?

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Less buddy. If I move that radiator with the existing mounts on it, they will end up over the top of the frame rail in order to gain 3".

I will look at it again but I am liking relocating the mount pads on the radiator as far as cleanliness is concerned.

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. If I was standing there looking at it I would probably agree with ya.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, if I just knew someone that welded aluminum...:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.