Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4 speed trans mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Recently picked up a 39 chevy with a 235 and 4 speed Muncie but the job they did on the trans crossmember worries me, any suggestion on this, I wanna keep my master cylinder underneath. Should I run another crossmember or extended this one 20180930_111545.jpg

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pitch all that in the dumpster.
    Lower right photo is the tubular crossmember I put in my 66 Suburban.
    20180926_142335.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

The Battery Tray is the Head Scratcher for me. With that tranny I hope you never Hooker up, Shits going to go to Twisting.

4. That "mount" is not doing much work, may be adding to the weight on the trans more than it is being useful. Don't worry about banging gears with that shifter, looks like a generic something. Is that the speedo cable flapping in the breeze to the left?

5. Yep flipping in the breeze, planning on moving the battery to the trunk, so no biggie if I keep the stock crossmember and add another one. Only because the master cylinder is on the original one

6. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I`d be concerned on that long standoff on that steering arm too.

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't look good, but you know that. I'd be concerned what else has has such skills applied to it. The steering arm to tie rod has caught my eye for instance. Might be ok, might not be - depends!

Chris

8. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

The question that nobody has asked, is... does that thing still have the original bell housing motor mounts? If so, then you really don't need anything at the tailshaft. Four-speed Stude Hawks were like that. If you don't have the original bell mounts anymore, maybe you could try something like these.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-80652-Chevy-Engine-Mounts-Rear,40453.html

upload_2018-10-3_8-29-44.png

mgtstumpy, Max Gearhead and 1934coupe like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

DDDenny has a good suggestion:)

10. egads

egads

Can you move the battery box to the rear and use one of these? [​IMG]

11. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Must be somebodies cure for Bump Steer. My eye's are not what they once were, but Damn spacer looks like a Deep Well Socket.........

bobss396 and Mr48chev like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am thinking that spacer on the steering arm is to connect a rack and pinion that was cobbled under the car much like that trans mount.
    One of those tube mounts with the right amount of drop would be the simple and clean fix for the trans mount.
    From what we see in that photo, I'd be going over that car from end to end checking everything before putting it on the road.

bobss396 and Bearcat_V8 like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If it has the mount up front and the two on the bellhousing that mount is not needed and its not hurting anything being there,I have a 235 and T-5 in my 37 p/u with no mount on the rear or the trans.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If it's not needed that's the best reason to remove it.
    The second best reason is it's ugly.

Bearcat_V8 and egads like this.