Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 speed toploader ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Sep 21, 2008.

1. mercjoe

mercjoe

Hey guys,

Taken from a 70-72 Falcon (Argentine). Known as "3.25"s

Real toploader ?

Would it be a good choice for my 368 Lincoln ?

Diego

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. The Shocker

The Shocker

There should be an id plate on the passenger side with a "RUG" # or simular.There is a guy in Dallas that rebuilds them and has a page with all the codes , years ,and models .I think its something like David Keys toploader or something.I will try and find the link for you...

3. mercjoe

mercjoe

What about the 3.25 ? Does it tell anything ?

4. I don't know that the 3.25 translates to anything - I couldn't find it. but I have a ford cross reference book but need the ID # off that tag to figure out what it is. As stated before it should have RUG, or HEH and some other #s on it. Sometimes those tags get ripped off even tho' they're riveted on.

5. Tag circled in white - it should have the ID #s on it for your tranny

Attached Files:

6. Mattilac

Mattilac

That one you have there may be what David Kee calls a "toploader imposter." Here's a link to his page about these: http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm These came in late 70's early 80's cars and trucks. They look identical to the real toploaders, but they are supposedly much weaker and 4th gear is actually a overdrive gear.

I believe the 3.25 you are talking about refers to the 1st gear ratio. I have one of these transmissions myself that I pulled from an '86 F150 300-6 2wd truck, and the ratios are as follows:

1st - 3.25
    2nd - 1.92
    3rd - 1.00
    4th - 0.78
    R - 3.25

The main reason why I decided to go with this transmission (even though its not a real toploader) in my project is because unless your pushing gobs of horsepower/torque through these gearboxes, I don't think the weakness issue will be a problem. Behind my stock Ford 292, this thing should live up just fine. Remember, they originally came installed in trucks which hauled and towed stuff all day long.

This transmission, coupled with a Ford 9" rear end w/ 3.00 gears I bought, should give me great highway mileage...

I have a lot more information about toploaders of all kinds if you have questions.

7. Yeah, I remember them trannys. didn't they share a few pieces with the real 4speeds too, like the front/rear bearings & gaskets/seals etc? Also didn't ford put them in Granadas & Monarchs for a few years or were they different? I remember the early ones ('77 or so) had lots of problems but the got better by the mid 80s.

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

If its a real toploader ,it will have 8 holes were it bolts to the bell housing .If its a fake it will have a hump in the side of the case on the passenger side ( im told it had the hump to clear the larger 4th gear in the overdrive ) .A real toploader wont have the hump .

9. lurch423

lurch423

thats a 3 speed overdrive by looking at the shifter there not real strong but work good for a crusier due to the overdrive

10. mercjoe

mercjoe

ccc

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  11. mercjoe

mercjoe

Here's another one.

Attached Files:

12. mercjoe

mercjoe

13. mercjoe

mercjoe

little help from my friends

14. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I've got one and I think its great idea. Not the best ratios for racing, but its strong, is all synchro ,an better than an old time overdrive. Been thinkin of putting it in me 39 buick.

15. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

As far as I can see the trans in the opening post only has two shifter arms. Wouldn't that make it a 3 spd?

16. cornernfool

cornernfool

Your absolutly right, 2 arms 3 speed. His original picture showed a transmission with a shifter and a 10 bolt cover, which is a four speed. Now his pictures show a trans with no shifter and a 9 bolt cover which is a three speed. Diego, are playing with us, or did you goof up downloading the pictures?

17. mercjoe

mercjoe

No man.

I found three trannys which I could buy

1) I called the first guy and indeed that was a 77' OD 3 speed

2) You are right, the one on top is a 3 speed. I realized late last night. The jerk has an ad selling it as 4 speed.

Take a look at the picture at middle of the post. I think thats a real toploader. And I already offered for it on ML (local ebay).

Here's the picture:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  18. mercjoe

mercjoe

I bought this thing. TRhink its a real toploader, what do you think ?

19. mercjoe

mercjoe

Can tell anything from this pic ?

20. mercjoe

mercjoe

All toploaders that came in falcon futura's from 70' to 72' ans Sprints in 73' are known here as 3.25
    Is it possible that those imported here came with different ratios ?