Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 lug wheel adapters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Im loosely looking for some wheel adapters for my 64 ford falcon. I want to go from the stock (4x4.25) to the standard 5x4.5..... I dont want to completely change the car over because Im keeping the 170CI six. So what Im asking is, does anyone know of a reputable place to get wheel adapters like these???

Thanks guys.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Aside from the likelihood that it will cost a bit more for the 5 lug brakes and drums than for wheel adapters, there is no downside to a full conversion. I think the 5 lug cars, which in that era were V8's, had a bit larger brakes. THAT would be a benefit for your Falcon as the original brakes aren't that great to begin with. The 170 six banger won't know, and won't care, what brakes are on the car. But, you will after getting improved stopping power.

Since both the 4 lug and 5 lug are on a 4 1/2" Bolt circle, it may be possible to have your hubs and drums redrilled at a machine shop. One bolt will be reused, the other drilled at the proper spacing. It would require pulling the rear axle shafts from the rear end, but that is no big deal. If the hub configuration at the front doesn't lend it self to be redrilled, and that is a distinct possibility, then either adapters or 5 lug drums/brakes will be you only inexpensive and easy options.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Thanks ray.... the front is actually 4 and a quarter bolt circle.... But I do like the idea of drilling them. The only thing I dont like about adapters is the added offset needed for wheels.

4. dont use adapters, do a disc brake conversion and change to a 5 stud diff you wont be sorry

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You could have them made at a machine shop ,Or if you know a reputable machinist .This will pack out your wheels roughly an inch or greater.It is cheaper than looking for axles and changing the drums ,Is there enough room to redrill the drums and axles ,This would eliminate the need for spacers ,Speedway sells a bolt circle measuring device for cheap ,My advice would be to see if you have room to change the bolt pattern.

6. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

the stock falcon front is 4-1/2 4bolt...

i have 2 14" MII rims, there 4-1/4 (never mind there 4bolt as well)..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree,.... they should be 4 1/2" BC........recheck your measurements.