Register now to get rid of these ads!

4" dropped axle - too much for my '59 pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Jan 28, 2012.

?
  1. Keep the 4" axle

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Use a 3" axle with lowered springs

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Use a 2" axle with lowered springs

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Install the original axle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A couple of years ago I installed a dropped axle in my '59 Chev pickup. The drop looks nice and it's how I want it to look, but the axle is very close to the ground about 3-1/2" [enough where I can't roll a floor jack under it]

Anybody else have a 4" dropped axle in a 55-59?

Any clearance issues and what size tires are you using? Right now, I have 28-1/2" tall tires.

My truck is not on the road yet. I'm going to give it a try first and see how it is, but my first impression is it's too damn close to the ground and I need to get a 3" instead. I will check the scrub by letting the air out of the tires and see if it hits the ground [old tires anyway]

You can see a pic here of the axle proximity to the ground

http://59chevypickup.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=49923408

I like the look though :cool:

http://59chevypickup.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=49919277

2. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

I would think you will either have to drop the steering arms which dont look to have much left to play with or go with less drop on the axle. Call Okie Joe and ask him what you can get away with on that particular set up. He will know for sure.

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The steering arms are modified for the axle. I also put 6 deg shims between the springs and the axle, so I have more clearance between the tie rod and springs now [pic is before the shims]

My main concern is the axle hitting the ground

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok joes is the best ! i run a 4" drop . it looks low , but never had trouble ... steve

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

I have a 4" drop on mine. So far so good. The only issue with scrub would be if somehow both front tires would come off the rims. Even a flat tire has at least an inch of rubber between the rim and the road.

Attached Files:

6. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

Another issue you may want to think about is if you drop a tire off the edge of the road. The reason I'm bring this up is because I know from experience is if that happens bad things can happen. You may also want to check you local and state laws. Here in Ohio it is against the law to have any chassis or suspension hanging below the scrub line. So my 2 cent are better safe than sorry.

7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Might be different with that truck in the pic but I can tell you by looking at those pics of the ops truck a flat will no doubt have the axle hit. I put one under a 59 that my coworker had and we got lucky when it happened to us we were on my street going 25, but it sucked us right to the curb when it hit. We were lucky there were no cars on that side of the street. You can see from his pics that the bottom of the wheel is above the bottom of the axle not by much but enough, the problem is when it goes flat while you are moving the force against the flat tire itself allows it to hit and you wont be able to tell just by letting the air out. We had 15's on his with raidial tires.

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's what I'm worried about. I should also note that I plan to race this truck at the next Mooneyes Xmas party [there's a dual quad W-30 455 olds in it].

I'd hate to look like a fool at the fast end of the track if a tire goes

Might emit a nice shower of sparks

9. Black Primer

Black Primer

It's your truck, you know it better than anybody. If you have doubts you better change it. Better safe than sorry.

10. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah, you are right. I'm going to send my original axle to Sid and get a 3" drop on it

11. cjmac

cjmac

3 inch on this one. Like em lower , but going to drive the heck out this one and so are others ....

Attached Files:

12. my 48 f-1 ford has a 3in. dropped axle and 2 in. reversed eye springs. i cut me a couple of 2x6 about a ft. long. drive it on the boards and the jack will roll under. keeps the cool factor and the look i like.

13. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's a nice looking truck.

I'm gonna keep the 4" axle in it for now at least. Total net drop is close to 6" with a leaf also removed.

Will let you know if the axle hits

Here is a clip of a super slammed bus - looks sick (non-H'amb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGB0G-quZFs&feature=related