Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 cylinder questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakesmod, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You should put a bigger engine in that truck, or the old ladies with walkers will be giving you the finger after they have to pass you.

2. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

the old ladies can bring it, I'm not scared of their love. Besides, once you have had an angry octogenarian, you dont need a V8.

3. farna

farna

Excellent reply!!!!

4. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I have to agree with Bow about the Nissan four cylinder. My son has a KA24DE in his 510 and it goes like stink!!! and the tranny has just the right amount of OD. If I did another car with a four cylinder I would really consider this engine/tranny combination. I have attached a couple of pics.

Rex

Attached Files:

5. Yup, You got that right Rex...

Here is mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I modified my valve cover.. and built the intake manifold for the throttle bodies.. both a one-off thing...

and did a 1 belt setup, no power steering
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Paint it medium green with some cast iron grey pieces as well. No one uses green anymore.

7. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I saw that familiar Oil Filler Cap on that KA24.

Mine is a bitch. Its currently sitting because the timing chain jumped again.

However it did sound decent with a Dynomax and dual tail pipes zoomie-styled about 3 inches up the bedside.

8. You jumped the timing chain on a KA24??

KA24E or KA24DE?

I'll bet the tension adjuster is stuck... it runs on oil pressure...

9. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

KA24E. Twice, haha. Almost a year ago and a month ago.

How does it get stuck exactly?

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Good luck, the heads on the 2.2 are junk.

The 240 ka24de is stout enough to hold over 300 hp on a stock short block. but the newer variant I have in my Frontier leaves something to be desired. You can build a high comp KA with early sohc pistons.

11. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

oh NOW you tell me. where were you when I had the idea? guess I will throw the truck away.

just kidding. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

And I come from 86hp mazdas that smoked like carol channing when new. Motor problems? BRING IT.

12. carbking

carbking

Very happy with a 1979 Mustang 2.3 turbo that I ordered new, and still have.

Was equally happy with an OHC Toyota until I finally wised up and started buying American!

Both are quality products.

Lots of performance parts available for both, although the Ford performance parts are much more readily available, and significantly less expensive.

Jon.

13. There is more than one Turbo'd KA24DE running around that are north of 400 hp on a stock bottom end.

That is what I did, KA24E SOHC pistons in my KA24DE.. instant 11:1 compression.

My '98 Frontier has the KA24DE/5-speed, but it is gut-less compared to my '91 240sx with the KA24DE/5-speed.

The big problem with the Frontier version of the KA is the 232 Intake/216 Exhaust cam. The 240SX version had 240 Intake/248 Exhaust cams from '91-'94 and 232 Intake/232 Exhaust from '95-'98.

Much better torque in the 240sx version.. the 240sx has a longer intake manifold as well, and the '91-'94 has a factory 4-2-1 cast iron exhaust manifold ('95-'98 240SXs and the Frontiers have a shorty 4-1)

I am looking to drop my KA24DE into a Track-T style car.. that thing should fly with a 5-speed behind it... :D

14. I absolutely agree. (having been backwards on the road twice at 70 mph in my old posi mustang) One wheel not spinning is a nice safety device.

15. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    Probably not the type of motor you'd wan't to build if you're real concerned about fuel economy, but a couple of years ago I helped a buddy build a turbocharged 2.3 Ford Lima 4-banger for his street-driven '75 Pinto. When it was finished, it dyno'd at 515 hp and at only 5200 rpm, too. Not too shabby for pushing around a 2400 Lb. Pinto. If your interested, PM me for the recipe.

Mart3406
    ==========================

16. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

This is a 4A-GE Toyota in my 26 roadster. This engine is capable of over 260hp in Formula Atlantic trim, mine about 140hp with Webers and mild cam.

Attached Files:

17. kookee

kookee

Odd. I think I read one entry on the OHC Neon engine. Not that I am considering, but were these decent or garbage? I recall seeing some on road courses some time back.

18. aaggie

aaggie

There are a lot of go fast stuff for the 2.3 Ford. They use them in roundy round racing and the Smiley folks have tons of cheap class legal parts. A friend drag raced a Pinto with 2.3 and 5 peed and had trouble shearing off flywheel bolts until he bought a liquid filled balancer from a Ford guru in Ohio.
    Buy American so our Grandchildren will have jobs.

19. Ice man

Ice man

I got a freeby 2.5 AMC 4 banger /5 Sp and put it in my 29 Pk Up. It was not my favorite thing to do, but free is cheep enough. Wel I run I 75 and get a lot of fun just keeping up with traffic, or if need be I can run the left lane and go for it. Really suprises me, that thing really screams, and its a 5 main tough engine. Took the EFI off and got a early manifold and dizzy so I still have S/S ignition and carb for reliable running, and very simple to maintain. Love it, Iceman

Attached Files:

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I vote for Ford.

S4022734.jpg

S4022736.jpg

21. tjm73

tjm73

Neither of you can drive for shit if that's the case. I drive a '98 Mustang GT year round in Upstate NY, during winter and all. If you can't keep a posi car going straight you should have you license revoked.

22. It happened on a race track on a hard shift during an SCCA drivers training school, a place to learn about that sort of thing.
    If you break both tires loose at speed things literally happen instantly. Once you experience it you will feel differently.
    If your car is an 8 we've the same power but mine is 500 to 600lbs lighter than yours, and that makes a difference.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  23. The 4A-GE was also available with a supercharger or a turbo from the factory. I'm not sure what's available these days, stateside, but Nissan's SR20DE and DTE are also hot set-ups with younger gearheads.

Of course, those old Pinto mills are pretty hard to beat and are quite tunable.

24. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Some of the smaller capacity Japanese V6 engines might be worth a look as well.
    The V6 configuration being symmetrical, with exhausts ports out of both sides, looks a bit more like a rod engine than an inline four.

25. tjm73

tjm73

All Mustang GT's are V8. I have had the tires break loose at all speeds up to highway speeds. What you describe has happened to me many times. If you can drive and you are aware of how your cars behaves and it's limitations, you will feel it coming 95% of the time.

Under normal driving, a posi is nothing to be concerned about in any way.

26. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I'm building a modified with a 2.3 Ford with a 4 speed. I'm just wondering what RPM these motors like at, say, 65 MPH?

27. tjm73

tjm73

If it's stock cammed, I'd gear for about 2800-3000 at 60 with what ever tire height you will have.

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow!!

29. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Just a bump! I will be adding to this in a bit! with my project Viva El Gasolina!

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm in the process of building a 1.8 SOHC Ford Courier engine with a ZF 4-speed for a '29 Huckster. Got a new cam from Crower, Offy intake still in the box, .040" over domed pistons and Petronix ignition. The Courier and the A are almost identical in weight. Using an A rear end with 3:73 gears and an open driveline. Joe's Speed Shop is doing a 2" drop and I'm using split wishbones on the front and reinforced split wishbones on the rear. With a lightened flywheel and balanced internals, I think that 150 - 160 horsepower is a reasonable goal. Stock was 119 HP.