Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 Banger Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jul 6, 2008.

1. concreteman

concreteman

I have a 31 Sport coupe ,it leaks oil at the rear of the motor and comes out the hole at the cover behind the pan ,My grandson and I checked the pan and used gasket maker on the cork gasket ,still leaks ,do I need to pull the engine and replace a seal
    Thanks

2. TV

TV

Try pulling the pan, and make sure the drain back tube on the rear main is ok and not plugged.--TV

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

How much is it leaking? They all (or most) leak a little. Ford said it was an in-built lubrication system for the wishbone ball....yeah, right!
    If it is gushing out, then it could be one or more of several problems, including the rear main drain tube as TV says. It could also be the seal, or it could be the gasket between the flywheel housing and block.
    If it is only dripping a little, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of 'em do.

4. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

i have the same problem...................pours a lot though. my solution was getting a 21 stud that didnt leak :O

5. 4-banger

4-banger
    from Tucson

Mine drips a little if is just a small amount don't worry about it.

6. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

had one that poured out rear main,was told how to cure it, it works , have it om a leaky flathead also.. seal up your oil filler tube and anyother breather,then run a vacuum line from intake to side cover on the A ,high on the cover to not suck oil. tapped into a plug to seal the filler tube on rear of f/head. will pull vacuum in crank case and it wont leak.....

7. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

If just running a vacuum line bothers your carb try putting a PCV in the line. It worked on my flathead---no leaks.

8. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i, forgot to say use a pcv valve, thanks.....

9. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks for all the replys
    I have attached some picture ,the oil runs out does not drip and the oil return is open ,I think it is the cork gasket at the shims ,Question do I need to pull the motor and replace the rear main ,which looks like a oil slinger and on the trans side ?
    Thanks
    CZ

Attached Files:

10. 4ever4

4ever4
    from Texas

Based on what I see in your pictures, you should just take the time to fix the problem correctly. It appears you need to take some shims out of the rear main cap to tighten the clearance between the crankshaft journal and the cap to .001" - .0015". Seeing in your pictures that the only shiny area is at the front of the cap tells me that is the only place the rear main journal is actually riding.

The slinger is more than adequate to handle your oil control and you do not need any fancy PVC's to stop all the oil from dripping. Ironically, if the rear main cap is tight within specs, there will only be a drop every occasion that will be absorbed into a felt located at the bottom of the flywheel housing. That felt then lubricates the front radius rod ball. Bottom line means if you are seeing any oil leaking from the bottom of the flywheel housing, there is work that needs to be done to the bottom end.

11. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks for the tip and thanks for taking a look at the pictures ,I did not see the wear on the bearing ,I will check the clearance and let you know how it turned out ,I did not know the rear main on a 4 banger was not realy a seal ,
    Thanks again
    CZ

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That slinger, Ford number A-6335, is a cast aluminum piece.