Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4-2 barrel holley carb issues on a olds 324 engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ruben solis, Jun 10, 2017.

1. ruben solis

ruben solis

I'm questioning a 4-2 barrel intake with Holley 94's on my olds 324 engine I just purchased.
    Each carburetor has mixture screws and possibly power valves. My friend stated about the intake (if all carbs are spread out and not flowing threw one plenum then you need mixture screws on all carbs and that all carbs should open together, no progressive throttle) at the moment all 4 -2's are opening at one time.
    My norm and experience with 3 two barrels there a center carb with a power valve and front and back carbs are dumpers.

2. On my 322 Buick (avatar) I run 4-94's with straight linkage, I've got the idle screws out about 1-1/2 turns and each carb runs a 5.5 power valve, runs very well and with my 3.08 axle I get over 18 mpg, got 12,000 mile on this setup. Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed sells double thick gaskets for these carbs, a must if you want to keep them from seeping, recommended. The pic shows the set up, the center carbs are not being used.
    nnna.jpg

3. If you are running a staggered set up, you may have to run all 4 hot all the time in order to get equal distribution to each cyl because of the plenum design. I am running a staggered set up as in my avatar and will be running all 4 hot after my discussion with Clive at Stromberg.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Photo of the manifold in question....... seeing as you just bought it , it wouldn't hurt , if you have a local dyno operator ,who knows how they work, check your mixtures, any idea what else has been done to the engine?

5. ruben solis

ruben solis

Ok took carbs off today 2 are hot staggered while two were closed off. the two that were hot were carboned badly. Noticed something odd the two that were hot had power valve plugs he wasn't running any power valves that was strange. I would share a picture but my lap top is old and running on two cylinders. The manifold looks just like vtwhead (alliance members) logo of his 88. Jets size in carbs are 48's

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. ruben solis

ruben solis

7. pull your plugs out and record what they look like, then clean them, reinstall. Put power valves in. Careful here as there are two types and one does not fit well. You can order on line at Vintage speed in FL. Might as well get the thick gaskets also. U are going to need them. Try 5.5 power valves. U may have to rejet as 48 jets if running 4 hot carbs may be too much but you will have to play with this to get it right.