Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3x2 vs 2x2 on a 8ba engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rust, Oct 30, 2016.

1. hot rust

hot rust

just curious i see alot of flatheads with 2 carbs verses 3 carbs, are the three carbs too much for the flatty? i would have thought that the set up would have ran off the center carb till you opened the others up therefore only utilizing the others at a higher rpm where as your using both carbs to run off of on a 2x2 set up. i know you jet them (2x2) to run efficiently in this manner but it would seem that a 3x2 set up would be more efficient and produce more power by being ran progressive. i'm putting together a 8ba 51 model with alum heads a 400 jr cam with a 3x2 set up(strombergs). any info on this set up would be helpful or just tell me i'm screwing up. thanks hot rust

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I run 2x2 , straight, no progressive linkage , the slig shot by Edelbrock was to raise Rpm , but not so much as to add more CFM's I have read several places that Flathead where under CFM right from the Ford factory ,
    A 4x2 would be better then 3x2 There's more to why 2x2 & 4x2 over 3x2 , but honestly
    Me I would not know how to explain it in writhing, but you can see it on a dyno & with 6 egt's
    Pretty sure someone else will comment maybe they will have a better explanation, cap off and dummy center cab , run the end Carbs straight ,

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  3. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Unless your flathead is built up, you only need one carb. Anything more is over kill. Most rodders add a second carb on a stock motor for looks and are nice to look at. If that is what you want then go for it.
    Mine is a stock motor and will stay this way so I have no need to for a duel or triple set up. I no longer street race but I do spin my rear tires once in a while.

Attached Files:

bct likes this.

5. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

If you add another carb to a stock Flatty you will see & feel the difference in power and get up & go over the one carb, Or install a bigger carb overstock "" CFMs""

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Of course you will notice it. I don't disagree. It's not for me.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. In high school I put 3X2 on my stock worn out 40 flatty. I don't think it would have mattered if I had 1,2,3,4,6. It was still a dog but it looked cool.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a rough formula is to multiply your displacement by .75 and that is the cfm you are looking for.

10. MBog

MBog

I run 3 on my modified flattie. big difference. still get 20 mpg and will run 16s in the 1/4

bct likes this.