Register now to get rid of these ads!

3rd Virtual Banger Meet: Manifold Fab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Enbloc, Feb 28, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you may also want to try the HCCA Bakersfield swapmeet, it should have lots of good stuff.

2. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yeah, I've got a soft spot for SU's myself. They can be made to work very well.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yes, but are they "period"? ;)

4. I hate SU's.

What you need is a nice pair of SP tops!

[​IMG]

Finally learnt how to take photos outside without over exposing them!

[​IMG]

5. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Clark, you're only just into your 20's, what experience have you got of SU's? ;)

I thought you were putting your fenders back on?

BTW, SU were making carbs from about 1910 (ish), though as we know them from 1936. About the same period as 97's then, I reckon.

6. 4 SU's on a Rover V8. Thats what experience I have.

7. Hate is a strong word for our very own Skinners Union carb. One nice thing about them is it's difficult to overcarb with an SU - the choke just doesn't open as far. And with just one spring and needle to adjust, and that can be filed down on the roadside...
    C'mon Clark - share your pain and learn to love 'em!

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well, if i remember correctly they are a cheap knock off of a rolls carb from the late teens...which would make them more period than a '97

they are also self adjusting for altitude...which is more than i could say for a '97. they are also made of cast alumiuim, rather than pot metal.

(though the real SU that is the period correct one is called a "sloper" and those are rather rare...maybe i can find a picture of one, lots of em are on Bentley's)

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hmm. I'm not sure whether you're hating the right thing from that combination....

SU's are a cracking carb as long as they have the external float chamber. The later HIF's (internal float) can be difficult. I've considered putting a pair of SU's on my banger. Still could happen, one day.

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's interesting, I didn't know they went back that far. I keep envisioning twin updraft carburetors on my supe job, even though I've not heard much encouraging news about them. I'd like to shoot for something c. 1933 or '34 looks wise.

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the down draft carburetors had really come into thier own by then (thanks to the dirt tracks) many indy cars were running down drafts at that point too. Though i think about this time Riley Brett was producing some really great side drafts.

but lets go across the pond...'33 i dont think you will find anything other than side draft carbs (many stuck to the back of superchargers)

and per my last comment, attached please find a copy of "sloper S.U.'s" albieght they dont look like modern SU's the design is still the same. (i guess i need to eat a little crow)

[​IMG]

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i really have my head up my ass, i will try to do better research before i flap my trap:

The various engines produced were technically very similar to the 3 litre four cylinder engine of 1919. Characteristic features were the revolutionary aluminum pistons and an overhead camshaft operating 4 valves per cylinder. These features, together with dry-sump lubrication, were well ahead of the time and it would take decades before many other companies caught up. The cylinder block and head were cast as one piece to prevent gasket leakages. The extremely long stroke provided the slow running engine with plenty of torque.

the above engine is a 3 litre model from a '27 Red Label Speed Model

below (this the best i can come up with) is a picture of a replica of one of the 4.5 litre cars. if you look closely you can see the alumium dashpot on top of the carb snuggled up against the super charger. So i guess i was kinda right as to the rough age/ vintage of what is considered the "modern SU

[​IMG]

13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Guys there are some great pics there, it had been sugested to me to run a pair of SU's, but I'm a little partial to the 'look' of a pair of Down Draughts, but knowing that they are as old as they are, well my arm could be twisted......

BTW great pics,

Outback