Register now to get rid of these ads!

3pt seat belt install question - opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neverdunn 51, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Guys,

I'm about to install 3 point belts in the rear of my wagon so than my oldest 2, who are now in booster seats, can have the shoulder strap to hold them in.

I have to make the holding points for 2 of the 3 points - one at the retractor itself and the other at the loop by your shoulder.

When I have installed belts from scratch on the floor of a vehicle, I used a steel plate instead of a big washer to reinforce that area. Where I'm installing these, I don't have access to get behind there - so my question is this.

Is it cool - or how not cool is it - to plasma cut a hole, then weld in a nut in that hole for the seat belt bolt to go through? Please keep in mind that I'm a pretty decent welder and I'm not talking about a couple of spots to hold it there. I mean that sumbitch will be WELDED! The recessed nuts would essentially become parts of the C-pillar.

I think it should be fine - but the cargo I'm strapping down is WAY to precious not to ask as a double check. Thanks guys.

John

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

How about cutting a larger hole and weld in a thick plate with a welded nut?

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Could you cut a slot - and then slip in a rectangular "washer" that is then welded to your slot??

4. Make a plate, drill a hole through it big enough for your bolt, and tack a nut to it. Cut a rectangle the size of your plate out of the B pillar and weld it in with the nut trapped on the inside of the pillar.

Here's a link to a tech of on e I did. You may be able to uncover others if you do a search.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74885