Register now to get rid of these ads!

3M weatherstrip roll?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage_car, Dec 29, 2011.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car

I have seen this in magazine and probably online, but I can;t for the life of me find it or remmeber exactly what it was called. It is a 3M product that you can mold/shape around holes to fill in the gap and seal it. It is rope-like if I remember correct. I need something to put in a couple odd shaped holes that have hoses/wiring running into the cab from the firewall to prevent fumes from seeping into the cab.

2. strip caulk? 08578 is the 3m number...this sounds like what you are talkin about

3. Aperature tape maybe? Not it's intended purpose, but it's foam and round and sticky...

4. myride2

myride2
    from canada

also refered to as "dum dum" don't ask me y

5. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Ya, dum-dum is the wider stickier like clay stuff, can be found at rv and camper.trailer places

6. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I use black butyl tape like they use to install windshields. It's about 1/4 inch diameter and because its black in color, form's to any shape and holds it's sticky almost forever.
    Don't get it on your clothes though, it rarely comes out once ground in.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Use to call it dum dum but honestly don't know the real name of the stuff . Yes , 3M does make it and use to come in a flat blue and white box . I haven't used that stuff since the 1970's ! If you go to a good parts store they will have what you need .

Retro Jim

8. csf64ss

csf64ss

yep!....3m window weld..flat roll with wax paper between the coils....we sell it at advance auto....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011