Register now to get rid of these ads!

3D mockup of my '31 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leviman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Leviman

Leviman

Hey guys, I suppose this isn't terribly traditional using computers and such, but I haven't the money or space yet to actually start working on my coupe, so I built this 3D mockup in Blender, a free 3D modelling/rendering program. Just thought I'd share.

'32 Wheelbase with a stretched hood to fit the pontiac OHC 6 engine
    Duesenburg-esk radiator shell that I may try to hammerform.
    5 inch chop
    Chassis fairing (A frame) with side exit exhaust.
    17x7 speedmaster wheels, may get replaced with something else.
    Headlight supports are also custom, and may change to something more conventional

Anyhow, the cool part about all this is that it's all to scale, so I can mock things up in 3d before actually cutting any metal!

[​IMG]

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

That turned out really well....I like your idea with the exhaust.That always looks so clean and streamlined,but it has a nasty aggressive racecar look at the same time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

That 3-D program ROCKS !!! I am at the beginning stage of my 31 build and would give anything to replicate the photo I have in my head. Thanks for sharing....

4. Leviman

Leviman

Thanks for the kind words guys! I put together a version with steel wheels. These are 17x7s again, I think I could get something like that from wheel vintiques.

[​IMG]

The rear end needs attention, and then I can start figuring out what I want to do in the back.

5. Love it. I cant do 3d modeling (like smooth shapes ) but geometricaly ive put a few models together, so i thought id share mine.

I love the realism of your model! i need to learn!
    [​IMG]

6. It looks great, but IMO, the headlight stands don't fit with the rest of the build.

You're building a stripped-down fenderless hot rod... Whereas they have more artsy art deco lines. I'd save them for another more refined, more sophisticated project.

7. Leviman

Leviman

Well my thought was that it was sort of a classy version of a stripped down hot rod. Kind of like the "pay more for us to remove bits" cars of now days.

Chopshop 13 - Your model looks more realistic than mine! Mine is actually very sparse on details, it's probably the rendering that's making it look realistic.

Also can i say that this subforum rocks! It's definitely my place to be.

8. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great concept. I love it. Go with the steel rims.

9. Very interesting and looks like fun. How much does the Blender program cost. I'm a dinosaur and not so computer literate, could I learn to use it?