Register now to get rid of these ads!

396 bbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No car!!!!!!, Mar 18, 2010.

1. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

No car!!!!!!<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5037186", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

You should listen up , theses guys are just trying to help ,

be it with cars ,motors or spelling and math it would help you out to just watch your manners..

The help will come with the respect.

AND if you are in advanced classes,man your parents need a refund..

2. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

ya makes sense sorry guys

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

let's keep the drama out of this.

good luck with your project
    you have my number, feel free to call any time.

4. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Will do thanks paul.

5. I wish you well with the BBC. If you're low on bucks try a stock rebuild and a mild cam, intake and headers. Easy 400 HP in that light car will throw ya back in the seat! If you can put it to the ground.. Be careful breaking in a flat tappet cam with todays' oil (low zinc). PM me if you want about my build, and chill on the dudes here. Lots of experience from helpful folks. Thick skin goes a long way, asking for advice gets answers. They'll tell it like it is!:cool:

6. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Ya figured that out. Problem with the motor that I have it has allready been rebuilt twice.

The motor in that picture looks like a nice setup.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks about like most hard used big blocks. But if the cylinders will take a hone job you should be allright.

Outside of the usual nonsense that gets posted in threads like this you got some good advice.

It should not cost anywhere near 800.00 to hot tank and mag or zyglo the block for cracks. That is if you have it down to the bare block. I'd think somewhere between 50 and 100 for the hot tank job and about the same for the mag. If you are going to have the cylinder walls sonic checked then it may cost quite a bit more than the prices I see here in the valley.

Get apart, see what you have and what of it you can use and then sit down and figure out what it is going to cost to put it together the way you want it done.

Check the online sources for engine kits as quite often you can save hundreds of bucks on something like this over walking into the local parts house and buying the same thing over the counter.

The only thing that would worry me about the engine being rebuilt several times is if it needs to be bored again or if it has been line bored and the main journals need work again.

8. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Thank you for the advice I think that I will just have it hot tanked and magged. I have a honeing tool for the motor you can still see the lines on the cylander walls so I think that it has low miles since it was rebuilt and broke.

9. John the Wrench

John the Wrench

Be carefull with a block thats already .060-.090 over. You don't have much room for a good sized radiator in that thing...thin cyl walls = problems with trying to keep the thing cool. And be careful with just a hone job as well. Having a round cylinder in crucial to ring seal. Don't just use a ball hone to break the glaze, take it to a machine shop and have them mic the bore to see where you're at (barreled, oval, tapered bore) or have your dad look at the bore with a bore mic.

I'd just send it to a production rebuilder and do a stock rebuild on the thing if you're not familar with how to assemble an engine. A 396 is waste of time if you ask me. 468 is where you start w/a big block. If you don't go at least that big, I wouldn't sacrifice the weight for the power. A small block in that car would be much better, handle much more nimbly, and be much more efficient. An if you wanted to make some bigger power with the S.B., you could do a 377, 383, 400, 406 or a 427. Of course, the price goes up with the cubes.

10. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Ya the prices do go up on ci. Um thats good information thank you I think we might take it to our buddy Macanless. He builds a 0 balenced motor witch is awsome.

11. 1320/150

1320/150

I ran a 11 to 1 396 with a comp solid 565,merlin heads stock bottom end. In a 3600 pound chevelle. It needed wind at my back to get into the 11's. That being said i am not a huge fan of the 396. power to weight is terrrible,but I used this motor for the same purposes as you. I was young and had no money. You have a light car it should be a good little motor just keep the costs low. Your return on a 396 isn't very good.

12. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Thanks 1320/150 im working with what I got and im gona keep the build cheap.

13. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Can anyone else give me any warnings or stuff to look for on building and running this motor.?

14. 1320/150

1320/150

what year is the block?

15. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

1969 its a high performance block and heads.

16. 1320/150

1320/150

I know the 65 block has different cam bearings there is a groove in the rear cam bearing I am pretty sure that was different by 69. Something to inquire, who is doing your machine work?

17. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

AAB. Auburn Auto Machine.

Mike McCandless he builds some crazy motors he built my dads 8ba flathead the thing was insane. It had so much toq but like all flatheads they get hot. And there is no way of keeping them cool.

But my dad grew up with this guys dad and they have been building zero balance motors for years and I might get a deal.

18. 1320/150

1320/150

cool i heard alot of good things about aam. Sounds like your in good hands!!! I have attended a couple car shows there. I have a couple friends in the whole fast company club!!

19. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Its nice to know that you have heard of them. Im hope they can do good things with my motor. His nova is nice to bad he sold it. Have you seen his sedan with the home maid 350 twin turbo.?

20. 1320/150

1320/150

nope, sounds pretty cool though!!

21. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Yup its a crazy car. Check out there website. lol
    I should be getting paid for this lol.
    Just go to www.auburnautomachine.com.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  22. 1320/150

1320/150

yah you should!! instead of mowing lawns,go see if he needs his floor swept!!!

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,in the late '60's ,,i ran a '67 396 in my '54 Ford Pee Cup C/Gasser ,,,in fall of '68 bought a new '69 SS396 Chevelle & raced it ,,at the same time ,,in C/Stock ,,both had 10 1/4 to one hi dome pistons ,,after sellin' the truck in '69 and moving back to Iowa from Alaska ,,i ran/raced/street raced and used that Chevelle for a werk car for 7 more years ,,put over 200,000 miles on it before sellin' it ,,,
    the truck ran 10;80's offa 10;45 Nat'l record ,,the Chevelle ran 13;20's offa 12;90 Nat'l record in '70 ,
    Rebuild that 396 ,,,put a good cam in it ,,,AND DRIVE THE CRAP OUTA IT ,,Heck ,,bore it out and put 427 Pistons in it ,,sum a those real nice L-88 ones,,
    Oh ,,,and paint it ,,,,,,,whatever color trips your trigger ,,
    mine were always orange ,,but heck ,,all the Big Block Chevy He-Perf boat Motors from Mercury Marine are BLACK ,,
    [​IMG]

24. 1320/150

1320/150

I do mean that I read it after i posted and it seemed sarcastic!!! I meant go get in there and do some hot tankin for him!!!

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If I remember right the 65 396 had a grooved rear cam bearing. Lippy

26. 1320/150

1320/150

how much did that truck weigh?

27. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

That sounds like a good idea im gona call him up and or email him and see if there looking for someone to do work or if I can work for them and they can build my motor up form thanks alot man.

28. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Ignition Timing is the key ,,on the track ,,in both the truck and the Chevelle ,,,i ran the total timing at 42 degrees ,,coming in at 3000 rpm ,,but on the street in the Chevelle ,,i backed it down to 36 degrees total ,,had a Motion Top Cat Kit in/on it ,,got over 22 mpg ,,in the early '70's ,,i was a MidWest Factory Rep for Moto-Ski Sno--Mobiles ,,so i drove it all over Iowa,So minn,So,Dakota calling on dealers ,,and pulling a trailer with 4 sno-mobiles on it ,,

29. 1320/150

1320/150

? so how much did the truck weigh. This truck had a 10.25 to 1 motor in it?

30. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa