Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 392 hemi overheating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by babblewon, Jan 19, 2022.

1. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Tried to get a pick. The bottom of the hole has a nice score, like the bolt was bottomed out and a torque was put on it, causing the gouge.

Attached Files:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Certainly looks like touchdown to me.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you check the length of the head bolts?

Also, have a look to see that they have a small shoulder just under the head, of about 3/8".

Just making sure that these are Hemi head bolts, and not just any old grade-8 bolts.

I have seen some odd stuff on, and in engines.

4. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Yeah and it’s fresh, so not like an old scar. The rest of the old is all dirty and what not...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Bolt length is correct and they have the shoulder.

6. [QUOTE Yeah and it’s fresh, so not like an old scar. [/QUOTE]

I have to agree with that.

7. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

If you have a micrometer compare the thickness of the fire ring on both head gaskets. I agree in the one pic that it doesn’t look like it was touched.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cross your fingers and toes! This is enough to allow a leak.

9. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

I’ll mic it again. I did yesterday when I pulled them, forgot what the numbers were.

10. junkman8888

junkman8888

In an earlier post you mentioned that you located the contact information for whoever built the engine, were you able to talk to them and if so, what did they have to say?

11. Were I the builder I would listen and probably give some insight but after sitting 9 years it's out of warranty.

12. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Left a message, no call back yet. I’m in no way shape or form looking for warranty or anything like that. Was hoping he kept paperwork from his builds or can at least remember something from the build. I’ll take whatever info on it that I can get...

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  13. EarlyMoparIron

EarlyMoparIron

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but do you have good oil pressure? My 392 was overheating and it turned out the oil pump needed to be re-primed after the car sat a while. Apparently a common problem on the OE pumps. I changed to a 340 converted pump from Hot Heads. Problem solved, even after winter storage.

14. junkman8888

junkman8888

Pist-n-broke, not concerned with warranty, interested to find out if builder had block and heads checked for cracks, was the block or heads decked, ect.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  15. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Oil pressure at 50 cold. Around 25/30 as it sat at idle when warm

16. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Fire ring .048 on side that head had to be pried off
    .050 side that lifted right off

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A common resurfacing of a block or heads removes 0.010".

Your fire ring compression differs by 0.002". I am not sure that is enough to do this, but frankly, I have never explored this as a failure path. I could only speculate, and I do suppose that this could allow combustion gasses by, to a near cooling passage.

There are two small ones that are somewhat closer than others.
    upload_2022-1-24_10-40-47.png

Explore the crack situation. If there are none, put washers on the head bolts and try again.

18. 73RR

73RR

Sorry for the delay. A very good friend of mine went into Hospice on Thursday and died early this day so have been pre-occupied...

I looked at all of the gaskets that I have, Dodge-DeSoto and Chrysler, and all have a hole, however, each different gasket has a different sized hole that I presume is for the purpose of metering water flow. Real hard to know exactly what the gasket manufacturers are thinking.
    IMO, Chrysler wanted some water moving at that point or the head would not have a hole so the question is only that of quantity.

Gary

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  19. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

My condolences on your friend. I have unfortunately gone through this a few times this last year with friends and family. Never seems to get easier.

20. 73RR

73RR

Thanks. The older we get the more often it happens until it is our turn....

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If even that. Ten of the 11 that I saw go under in last 20-months were all under 45.

I am sorry for your loss. It is never easy, irrespective of age.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course, we cannot discount that both of those numbers could be indicative of insufficient gasket compression.

We have no way of knowing how much material may have been removed from the decks. Early Hemi's are pretty hefty, and can take a decent cut.

A lot of engines are like this from back in the day. The six in my Ford got a whopping 0.090" off of the head to get the compression where I wanted it (long story about chamber/dish mismatch).

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would not be able to explain why Chrysler would bother to machine holes in blocks and heads, if they were not needed. Time and tool wear are a thing.

I mostly deal with 354's, as they seem to show up more often than others where I am. On all of the "never-apart" ones that I have opened, the factory installed gaskets had tin rings around all cooling passages, and all cooling passages were utilized. None were blocked.

I have three pair of 354 heads on or next to the bench right now. All six of them have evidence of a gasket halo around every single passage.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  24. Truckedup

Truckedup

Typical composition gasket compression is about .005 on several non hemi gaskets I have measured….local machine shop says it’s the same on all engines with a 50-60 thousands uncompressed head gasket..

25. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

I did find a couple 392 engine builds online, one was on motor tend I believe. The phots showed them using a gasket without the holes and the block DID have holes in that location. They did not have pics of the underside of the heads though...

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever the metal shows is what it is supposed to be. Not sure about the gaskets, though.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're currently missing the uncompressed thickness of these gaskets prior to install. If these were 0.050" thick gaskets, then they did not stand a chance here.

The gasket appears to be a Best 595G. Best does not seem to publish specs.

I hear that their customer service is good. This might take a phone call.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best Gasket
    9230 Norwalk Blvd
    Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
    [email protected]
    phone 888.333.2378

Give them a call and ask them how thick these gaskets are before being installed.

29. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Just called. He said .048 + - prior to install, .043 + - compressed.
    I’m getting .048 + - after pulling them....

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may have found the answer to the problem, so long as there are no cracks.

ottoman, Truckedup and Pist-n-Broke like this.