Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 392 hemi mallory YC337A questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john walker, Nov 10, 2019.

1. john walker

john walker

I'd kinda like to use an old mallory distributor instead of my vertex magneto. Does the YC337A use the old style flat brown cap, is there an oiling fitting on it and any guess on how much mechanical advance is in it? Haven't found one yet to see. Leads appreciated.

2. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, the 337A will use the two piece caps. The earlier brown cap is p/n 24004 and it uses a rotor p/n 24215 that has a spring loaded contact. The black cap will be identified by the number 4004 on it and the rotor will be 4215, with a contact that is riveted solid.
    In the past I had a Mallory with the later black cap and the early rotor, the contacts are different in the later cap and the early rotor would strike the contacts so you want to match those parts.
    Sorry, I’ve never see info for Mallory advance specs.

3. john walker

john walker

Thanks. Any idea of a source for one of these?

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm constantly watching eBay for these, and have found one over the last 3 years, so I wouldn't count on that. I would place a wanted ad in the "Swap Meet" section on here (and maybe some of the Mopar forums) and haunt all the regular swap meets you can. If one does show up on eBay, don't worry about me out-bidding you, as I already have mine and would only buy another if the price were really right.:)

If you do find an incomplete one (most on eBay are missing something, usually the cap and/or rotor) I may have what you need to complete it.

oj likes this.

5. john walker

john walker

Yeah, been watching there.

6. john walker

john walker

I have an old mallory ZB189BX IMG_0458.JPG to fit a 48 buick 320 engine that uses the same 24004 cap as mentioned above. It has a fitting on the side. Is it for oiling? That's why I asked if the Hemi YC337A had that too.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that fitting on the side is the vacuum advance. they ran a brake type vac advance unit. with no vac applied the spring behind the piston forces a rubbing block against the advance plate. when you apply vacuum the piston and rubbing block move away from the advance plate allowing the weights to move in the advanced direction. what I have found with these is the pistons are typically gummed/frozen and the rubbing block for the vac adv is worn out. I just disable the vac adv system (remove the piston and rubbing block) and run a mech adv only

8. john walker

john walker

Weird system. Vacuum advance crossed my mind, but no diaphram to be seen, so... nah, no way. Ya learn something new almost every day.