Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 in a 59 Ford Header question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64gtoguy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

Any of you guys have experience with swapping a 390 into a 59 Ford ? Main concern is exhaust header clearance issues. Can I use the stock exhaust headers? I am fairly positive that I won't be able to use tube style headers on this install............... Thanks for any help in advance.

2. I put a 429 in a '59 Ford Custom 300 and ran the stock exhaust manifolds for about 2 years with no clearance issues. Bought some custom headers that were made to "fit" the application and ended up having to cut my driver's side motor mount off and re-locating the thing. I would say if you just want to get it in and get going use the manifolds, if you're into cutting then go with headers. There's enough room in there to make anything fit with some work.
    -Dean

3. Krites has tube headers for this application, as does Ford Power.com . Stock 390 headers will fit fine, but they will be very restrictive.

4. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

'59 fords came with 352's which are externally identical to 390's. So no problem fitting. It is very tight to run aftermarket headers, but stock manifolds work. I think there are some headers available.

Mike