Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 Ford w/ 2x4's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by just for fun, Feb 19, 2013.

1. just for fun

just for fun

Went to an outstanding show past weekend in Gainsville,Fl. One car that "caught my eye" was a restored 1964 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500. Four speed trans and 390 engine. Good friend had one when I was in high school so it was fun pointing out the car to my son. This car was correct down to the hubcaps and gold painted valve covers! Two items seemed out of place-(1) MSD 6A box and (2) it was waring 2 four's! A lot of effort showed in the car to make it "correct", so I don't understand the two fours. waited around for the owner, but he, like me, was enjoying other people's cars. Searched the Web for info on 390's w/ the 2x4's system and didn't come up with anything! 406's and tripower, yes 427's and 2x4's sure, but 390's nothing. So so this an owner add on or did Ford ever sell this setup? Got a picture of it, too old to learn how to post it!

2. 2x4s never came on a 390 from the factory. 3x2s did in '61 & '62. A low riser 427 2x4 intake is a direct bolt on for a 390 and is a very popular upgrade. A 2x4 intake could have been bought over the counter at any Ford dealer also during the '60s. The first production FE with 2x4s was the 427 in 1963. Some factory supported racers got them at the end of '62 for their 406 motors.

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It all depends on what he was trying to build. A 100 points restoration or a period hot rod. I could like it either way. The F'n red MSD box is a no no for me on either style. I hate them with a passion. My buddy runs one on his 427 64 Ford but it is out of sight under the dash.

5. just for fun

just for fun

Thankyou for the replies! You confirmed what I thought, not original. All said,it did make for a quick trip down memory lane. And yes the MSD box stood out like a sore thumb! Spray paint it flat black and let it blend into the firewall.

6. Or put it in the glove box. :D

I have seen lots of 2x4 390s over the years, the 2x4 intake is cheaper than the 390s big inch cousin. :D