Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 390 Ford cam choices...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Hey all! Haven't been on here in a while, but I'm still pluggin away at the new motor for my Merc and figured this would be the place to ask! I'm to the point of buying a cam for it, and I'm having a hard time figuring what I should get...

here's what I'm working with:
    I figure this should be around 10.5:1 compression...
    4.080" bore (.030 over stock)
    3.785" stroke
    D2TE heads (68-72cc chambers, I believe 2.02" int. 1.65" exh.)
    1A9 factory aluminum 4bbl intake (1961 390, not sure what exact application was)
    most likely an Edelbrock 1406 carb
    stock MX dual-range 3spd auto trans with stock converter (I think 1600-1800 stall?)
    3.00:1 rear gears
    27.5" tire dia.
    car weights around 4,000lbs

Thats a lot of info, but I think all the bases are covered there... what I'm looking for is something that will perform well around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm, where I do most of my cruising (65-75mph) and can have enough torque to pull hard when I put my foot into it to pass, and destroy a pair of 40 dollar discount tires leaving the Dennys parking lot. I highly doubt I will ever turn the thing past maybe 5000rpm.

I'm not even sure where to start, but a friend in the club was saying I want long duration and not so radical lift, maybe around 300 duration and 500 or so lift. They have a reasonably priced cam on Summit with 276 duration and .533 lift on 110° separation, and another with 282/292 and .484/.510 on 107°.. Both seem like they'd be pretty torquey... what are your guys' thoughts???

2. I would find a better rear end ratio and go with a stock 428CJ cam and headers. But mostly I am just giving you a bump to the top of the page..;)

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Yep, the stock 428CJ would work well for you. With the 3.00 gears and low stall, you will want a cam that makes torque down low. Stay away from the long duration, big lift stuff, you won't ever get into an rpm range to make them useful. If my memory is correct, the old (early 2000's) Comp 265DEH cam was really close to the original 428CJ cam. I am not sure if they are still making it.

On another note, I am running an Elgin 966-P in the 352 that powers my '62 Merc. That car has an AOD with a low stall converter as well. That cam works really well in a slightly smaller, but very similar motor to your 390. The 966 has just a bit less duration (204 / 214) then the 265DEH (211 / 223), but essentially the same lift with a bit more lobe separation. The original 428CJ was advertised at 224 / 234 duration, but typically measured around 210 / 220 plus or minus a few degrees. All of the durations I listed are at 0.050" of lift, not total duration.

Also, Edelbrocks (Carter copies) are for Chevy's. You have a Ford FE there. Put a Holley on it like Henry intended.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Go to the different cam companies websites. You can contact them for a recommendation specific for your set up. Are the heads cast iron? Isn't 10.5 compression a little high for pump gas?

5. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the reply!! I forgot to note the durations I stated are advertised.. the square grind one I mentioned is a a Summit K34052 with 216 at .050 and .533 lift, and the other is a Melling MTF4 with 204/214 with .484/.510 lift... from doing a little research the MTF4 is a direct cross to the Elgin 966.

The price is almost the same for each of these, so I'm leaning toward the one you have.. I think that will be the best bang for the buck!

6. What kind of exhaust are you running? If you're running manifolds, the engine will benefit from the extra duration on the exhaust given by a split pattern. If you're running headers, not so much. What you're running looks like a similar configuration to the late 60's 390's, which made about 400 lb-ft of torque from the factory. So I don't think torque will be that much of an issue, unless you go wild with the camshaft, which it doesn't seem like you're doing. If it was me, I'd look at the Comp Cams XE268H, the valve lift is about what you're wanting and the cam card indicates "excellent throttle response" which it sounds like is important to you.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=938&sb=2

7. I have a new in box 260h kit with lifters and chain set if you need it.