Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 FE service block 427 bore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Algon, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Algon

Algon

It's not much to look at but here it is. There is an odd rod shaped piece inside the center casting port that runs from the deck to the floor and appears to be a casting flaw. I was hoping to send it out today but so far I haven't found a shop I trust that could actually prep and inspect it in house.

Attached Files:

2. Algon

Algon

I'm not sure if those are the ones they carry or not but Probe and Scat list forged FE cranks too. Scat's US Crankshaft line lists aero wing billets on one flyer I have but I no longer have a direct dealer connection to get pricing. Plus Summit is too lasy to look it up so I need to call for a part number so they can price it. Go figure, cash in hand to order a crank and I walk out with T-Shirt.:D

Forged cranks are all over Ebay too in 3.75 3.98 4.25, 4.32, and 4.5 strokes but who they are made for/machined by is not listed so I'm still really weary about buying one of those either.

I've also read about cam to rod clearance issues with the larger strokes and I'm concerned about the rod angles and wear patterns on such a stroke in a FE. Most of this is regarding aftermarket blocks, H beam rods and .700 lift cams so I'm not sure how far I can go with a factory block. I don't mind clearancing the rods but I wonder if I can pull it off with a good I beam and a physically smaller base circle.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

To me, if I had an honest to god 406 block, there would be only one choice, and
    I wouldn't even consider anything else. I would be putting a 3.78 crank in it, and building a solid-lifter 406. Anything else would be heresy. Take the extra bucks you are thinking about spending on a stroker crank, and spend it on a tri-power Galaxy intake and three holleys.

4. BigChief

BigChief

That is a steel support rod for the casting core(s), not a casting defect. They're called chaplets.

5. Algon

Algon

Thanks, BigCheif there are two prominent pads where it meets the inside of the block, I was thinking it might be iron that poured through sections of the core.

George, I've been eyeing a 6V but I was thinking dual quads and I have some tricked out Holleys. I'm planning on a big solid lifter cam and a 4speed. It will be a street car but I want it to be on the wilder side.

Attached Files:

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That fairlane with a 406 is going to be too cool!

7. Algon

Algon

Thanks George.

I took it to CAMS in Canton... I know Keith is lurking on here from time to time so thanks again guys.

The block rough at it was cleaned up decent at .020 but it charged during the rough hone finding a crack in the passenger side right through the casting numbers. Magnafluxing it found another at the rear casting plug. I'm looking for another block and calling shops that might be able to furnace weld it.

If nothing more I'm thinking of filling it with Hard blok and keeping it for a dragster.

8. the 58 thru 64 FE did not have 352 cast in the block. That started in 65 also the 65 blocks has four engine mount bosses cast per side. the 64 and older only had two engine mount bosses cast per side.

BigChief likes this.