Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 zeypher transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty petcock, May 5, 2009.

1. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

I have a '39 Zeypher transmission in my truck. At high RMP I have a tough time getting out of gear. Like when i'm doing a burn out and I want to shift out of first I have to force it out, but when I drive around "normal" it works perfect. Anyone els have this problem? I'm not trying to bang thru the gears or anything I do have a little respect for it, but like any real hot rodder knows spinning the tires is fun! Is my clutch out of adjustment? Did i put something in backwards?? Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is the difficulty at high RPM?? You might just be feeling the effects of the centrifugal weights on the pressure plate, which add pressure in relation to RPM. Assuming Long style clutch, here.

3. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Yes bruce only at high RPM. It almost feels like im trying to take it out of gear without pushing the clutch in. I really have to force it out of gear. What can I do to fix the issue? And not to sound dumb but i'm not sure what the long style clutch is? if I think it's an 11" clutch I used? I got from a antique Ford parts place.

Attached Files:

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That should be a Long. Look in through inspection plate...there should be a little metal barrel-shaped knob sticking through the pressure plate at each arm.
    Don't have one here at work...and I haven't had any coffee in a long time...but action of the weights increases clamping force and I would think must force the plate to move closer to disc as you try to move it away...
    Pedal pressure can become extreme. I think racers sometimes sawed off the weights...
    The 11" clutch is pretty extreme in weight and grip to start with. I'm thinking experiment with linkage setting for pedal free play...experimentally move it to right at zero, testitout.
    Also...what year pedal, what year lever on clutch cross shaft?? Some combos might well hinder adequate movement, like a '39 pedal and a '32 lever.

5. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

F1 pedals cut down a bit, 40 cross shaft and arm on the trans. I have verry short movement on the pedal, and when in traffic my leg kills after a while.lol, I admit it's not a well thought out set up and it kind of sucks. Thanks for the advice I will play around with it and see what comes up.

Attached Files:

6. Bruce covered it regarding the total throw, but I'd also say that flexure in the linkage due to the larger force is stopping full disengagement of the clutch.

7. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

one thing I can say is that when I first put everything in the car I was able to push the clutch in so far that it would not go into gear. I had to weld a little stop in, to not allow the pedal to go in that far. Like I said it's kind of a bad set up but I would rather not redo it all. I will just do a better job on the next car. I don't want to open up a can of worms.