Register now to get rid of these ads!

39' Zephyr Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zephyr3789, Feb 10, 2008.

1. That is so cool! Keep us updated. The LZ 3W is definitely one of my dream cars.

I wouldn´t chop it. The A pillars can look really odd, due to the door frames changing thinkness at that point.

2. Janne

Janne

So, frames have to be modified. You have to do what you have to do to get the right proportions.

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That looks like a really nice project!! Look forward to watch the build process! If it ends up like Jannes sketch it will be a killer!

4. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Your car looks great ! Very nice rendering also , those acc. wing windows are cool . I think when they are slammed they look great with a very mild chop (Rudy's kick ass 39) , stock height or mildly lowered leave unchopped (my 38) . Keep up the good work ! I've wanted to see a 38/39 slammed , mild chop and all the stock stainless etc. left on it . I think all the original stuff is so killer it ought to be left alone . Stock caps are bitchin as well . Let's start a Zephyr club for younger guys that like custom Zephyrs !!! I'm in the Lincoln Zephyr owners club and there's only a couple guys from there I like to talk to or hang out with . Most of them are in there 70's or older and treat me like an outcast cause my pretty much totally stock car has red wheels and period accessories . P.S. I'd rather see the stock door handles on your car , unlike the drawing .

Attached Files:

5. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

awesome car man.. that chassis is something to be proud of... amazing, congrats on the car man.. its a prized posession!

6. I´m sure it can be done - I just haven´t seen anyone thats bothered to do it yet. Looks very strange if its left.:)

7. 51-322special

51-322special
    BANNED

dam!..now i want me a zepher to.....

8. Janne

Janne

That's true, I haven't seen it done either.:)

9. sled

sled

Janne knows his stuff,very talented guy ..and great eye for proportions.not to forgot he lives,breeds and sweats kustom stuff...
    drawing is cool as usual...
    and of course the slammed project is lookin already killer...congratulations,guys!!looks a very good body also,great car when done...keep it up!!
    IMHO, gotta be chopped too...but very skillfully applied...the 38/39s are flowin much better on roof lines...you don't need much compared to the totally higher roof of the 40/41...
    check it out Lalo's Zephyr proportions,when is siuttin on the car driving...car very low but from his head to the roof looks like there is half meter or so,very tall to me....definately needs to be cut!
    havin a 40 3w project myself definately will be chopped,and i'm in in the idea of the lincoln kustom club...not many around i feel!!

10. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

11. redrico1

redrico1

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Seen Rich's 39 Linc post with the PittsburghSteelers stuff. Being the owner of a 39 Zephyr(tupperware) myself and living in Pittsburgh with the same name(Rich) I just had to respond to his post.

Attached Files:

12. studhud

studhud

13. nice
    seems alot of stuff well below the scrub line?

14. redrico1

redrico1

thanks paperdog, at ride height every thing is well above scrub line.bagged fat man chassis.soft ride like a lincoln.

15. redrico1

redrico1

Zephyr 3789 Hi Rich, I'm a Rich too, in name only. Shucks, that Zephyr looks better than most just sitting there in pieces. You were very fortunate to find one in that good of condition. I tried, but gave up, I got the tupperware model. You and your dad are doing some great work, everything looks 1st class.

16. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

please tell us more about the driveshaft setup.....and maybe some closeups if ya have them....very interesting.....and a great looking car!!

17. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

great car and a great shop

18. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That is one bad mambajamba.........talk about hittn the dirt. What a stance!!!

I hope my 46 comes out 1/2 as good.....

Paco

19. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

I just wanted to say thank's again for all the compliments and answer a few questions.

I'm not sure if this was for me, but I'll answer as well. I can see why this seems so, but the body is going to have a sub-frame that sits an 1'' above the frame to give us clearance for the muffler which is about 4.5in thick. The brake booster is mounted under the dash and everything else is well above the ground when the car is slammed.

Does anyone have any experiences w/the brake booster mounted under the dash?

Thank's, I was curious to see who would comment on the driveshaft. We love it so far, we will only have 5in tunnel under the seat. Which will allow us to run the original bench seat w/o modifying it. PM me if you're interested in more info.

Thank's Rich! It's a strange coincidence isn't it? Are you a Steelers Fan?

It definately wasn't luck that we found the Zephyr though. My Dad and I looked for about 5yrs, pretty much searching every possible place on the earth everyday until we found it and we would have searched another 10yrs if it would have taken that long!:D

20. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

spot on mang, that ride is kickass

21. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

brings a tear to my eye to see such a beutiful piece of machinery.

22. Janne

Janne

Since it seems to be lot of Zephyr guys around this thread, I will show my convertible custom concept (1941):

Based on 3w coupe;

-longer doors,
    -new 2-piece windshield mildly leaned backward and chopped
    -area between top and trunk lid is shortened.
    -Restyled grille insert
    -'50 Lincoln Cosmopolitan hubcaps

Attached Files:

23. redrico1

redrico1

hi rich a coincidence for sure .yea big steeler fan,i am 64 now so a 5or10 year wait wouldnt be an option for me lol. but you know owning this glass car has been a pleasure. i cant see myself doing any better than this ,so this will probably be my last one. regards rich

24. redrico1

redrico1

janne what a geogeous rendition regards rich

25. redrico1

redrico1

rich just curious where is your exhaust going to terminate? i have a cut down kaiser bumper with exhaust exiting thru the dagmars. that way i have no problem slamming to the max, regards rich

26. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

AWSOME CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should have used a bad as old motor to go with it, lincoln 368 , or cad or something beside a sb. But the car is BAD ASS!!! good job, cant wait to see it out. Where on earth did you find it????

27. ooooo i see its bagged ....... nevermind

28. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I wouldn't change a thing on that one ! Smoooth Operator ! I came real close to slamming and cutting this 39 I had a few years ago , just couldn't get myself to actually do it you know ?

Attached Files:

29. Janne

Janne

Some modifications info of Convertible.

Based on 3w coupe;

-longer doors,
    -new 2-piece windshield mildly leaned backward and chopped
    -area between top and trunk lid is shortened.
    -Restyled grille insert
    -'50 Lincoln Cosmopolitan hubcaps

30. What can I say but WOW!

The chassis is a work of art.
    Got me thinking about my Lincoln now.