Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Pontiac Gas Tank Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Aug 6, 2020.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I pulled the gas tank out of my 39 Pontiac today and need some advice on the best way to clean the inside of it. There was about a quart of very old gas in it that I let sit for three days in a drain pan and it never evaporated. I had to add lighter fluid so it would burn on an old stump I am trying to get rid of.
    Anyway, the inside of the tank doesn't look very rusty but it has a lot of crud in it. There was a good bit of crud in the filler neck that fell into the tank when I was pulling it out of the car.
    I took the sending unit out and shone a light into the tank to get the first picture through the filler neck opening and reversed the lighting to get the second picture through the filler neck opening.
    I also bought some gas tank coating to apply to the inside after I get it cleaned.
    I would like to thank Y'all in advance for any and all help.

39 gas tank 2.jpg 39 gas tank.jpg 39 sending unit.jpg gas tank coating.jpg

2. flatford39

flatford39

Don't even think about putting that tank sealer in there until the tank has been boiled out. Any radiator shops near you??? It needs to boiled out and all debris removed or you will be plagued with keeping the motor running. If it's a good tank and properly cleaned you won't need the Red Cote. GM didn't use it.

harpo1313 and abe lugo like this.
  3. I second having the tank boiled.Before you do put a double handfull of 1/4 inch bolts/nuts in the tank,and have a buddy help you rock it back,and forth .It will knock down all the big ugly stuff.Pour your dirty/rusty nuts,and bolts out the fill when your done.

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a tank similar to that, the varnish that had hardened in the tank was like POR15:) I took it to a radiator shop and they boiled it and coated the inside for $175. so far so good. The only thing I wish I would have done was sandblast the outside before I took it to the radiator shop. I did blast and paint the exterior after the fact though.

5. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

The only radiator shop in town doesn't clean gas tanks. The car was last tagged in 1969 so it has been sitting up for 50 years. I wonder if I could use parts cleaner then flush it with water. After that I would use a second dose of cleaner followed by blowing it out with air. Do you think that would work? Or should I look for a shop within driving distance that could boil it out?

6. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I have also heard of using a chain.

irishsteve likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

I would check out "Tanks" to see if they have a new tank that is close to your stock one. You will be way ahead if you can find a new tank, then trying to fix an old screwed up one.

fyrffytr1 likes this.
  8. junkman8888

junkman8888

The best way to clean sludge out of a gas tank is pour a quart or so of lacquer thinner in the tank, then mop up the muck with a rag tied on to the end of a long stick. Once you've cleaned out as much as possible take the tank to the car wash and blast the inside with some hot soapy water. This also works when you have to weld up a stress crack or hole in a gas tank..

Having said all that, if the inside of the tank is as rusty as the fuel sending unit you're wasting your time with cleaning and sealing what you have

fyrffytr1 likes this.
  9. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Already checked. They have nothing even close with a filler neck on the driver's side back corner. And there isn't room to use anything else the way the filler neck goes between the suspension, frame and body. I would love to find a new one if I could.

10. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I may end up using a tank with a rear center outlet and cutting it into the trunk floor from above. Then I can box it in.