Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 Plymouth brake help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim-Bob, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

I've got a '39 Plymouth P7 Roadking and I need some help finding a brake part. I'm looking for the face of the left rear drum, with the hub and the lug holes in it. It has little tabs all the way around it that go into the actual drum. I called Kanter, no luck there...any HAMB'ers got any ideas?

2. 57blevins

57blevins
    from omaha ar

I have the rearend for my sons 38 chrysler, You think it's the same?

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

SO what you need is a new drum for your car?

4. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

The drums are 10" inside diameter--shoes are 2" wide...What I really need is what I call the "face plate" with the hub and the lugs thread into it. There are tabs in the face plate that go into the drum all the way around. It's probably easier to just get a entire drum, since the tabs get brittle over time. If I read right, sometimes the threads are opposite from left to right. I'm looking for the left side rear one.

5. I don't think those parts are normally sold seperate from a drum.

I bet a lot more years than just '39 will work, too.

6. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

According to Kanter, they sell the drum ONLY not the face plate, so that left me to believe they are seperate, that way they could use the same drum on a bunch of different vehicles.

I would settle for just a drum, that would probably be easier! Anybody got one?

7. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

On some old mopars (certainly my 36 plymouth) the drum is riveted to the hub. You need a puller to remove the drums because they are riveted to the hub. It sounds like you have a drum that has been separated from the hub. You need to either find a new drum/hub assembly or find a hub and rivet it back on (including the centering pin).

8. 57blevins

57blevins
    from omaha ar

is this it?

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      292.9 KB
      Views:
  9. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

that looks like it but there could be minor differences between different years. You can see in the picture that there are rivets between the bolt holes and one of them is a centering pin. It sounds like you have one that was separated from the hub. I have a similar situation with mine except that my hubs are not missing (they need to be riveted back together).
    rebecca

10. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

YUP! I'm waiting to see what the UPS guy brings from PlyDo, they had one sent to me yesterday...We'll see what it looks like. I may still need it though...