Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '39 Pedals into a '35 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Mar 25, 2017.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Hi guys, I'm putting '39 pedals in my '35 3 window. I have a '39 Ford pedal set with hacked up and re welded pedal arms, a loaner '40 Ford something set that I can use for parts if I need to, and 4 or so '35 Ford sets. I can get a nice '39 Mercury set, but the pedal arms are weird. This is going in a car with a SBC and a T10. I'm going to flip over the clutch actuator arm and use it as a puller instead of a pusher.

I've heard that the new Drake '39 pedal sets come with a template for frame holes. I don't have one. Which '35 frame holes get reused? I can see that the big center hole needs enlarging. Can I reuse any of my '35 bolt holes and still be in the right spot?

Has anyone successfully replaced '39 pedal arms with ones from another year?

I'm kind of pecking away at this today between watching kids and a honey-do list.

I'll get some pics up a little later.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the 39 is kind of unique with the clutch shaft running through the assembly and the pedal pinned on. later (40) assemblies have two fixed shafts that the pedals ride on. On mine, I am using two 40 brake pedals with the clutch side actuating a hydraulic m/c for a clutch slave. Others have used a shortened Mustang clutch cable. See my build thread for some pics and links to cutting patterns.

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

4. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for the info. It was great to see where you cut the larger center hole on your build thread. Did you reuse any of your 4 bolt holes or drill new ones? I searched that site you had linked in your build thread and didn't actually find the PDF for the template. I did find some useful installation instructions. Hacking big holes in a frame I just re-riveted is a drag and I want to be deliberate about it. I'm already recovering from a big notch for my shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Per the info I found only the upper rear hole matched between 35-38 (mech brks) and later. The Big hole is What Ford put in

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app