Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 Ford taillight dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangsix, May 29, 2007.

1. mustangsix

mustangsix

Can anyone point me to a template of this light? Need to know how big it is and the size of the hole that it needs. Also, how deep is the housing? Thanks!

2. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Use the rubber gasket thats used when you mounnt the light on a stock fende it has the cutout already done .use that as template thats what I did on my bobber.

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

I kind of need the rough dimensions first. I'm a little space limited and want to make sure I have enough width and depth where I want to put these.

4. ruff dimensions are 5-1/2" tall , 2-1/2" wide...and about 3-1/2" deep

the wires come right straight out of the back , which sometimes can be a problem if you are mounting them in fenders...the wires want to point at the tires. you can section them to thin them up , and i believe someone makes them already sectioned

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

also you can remount the light in from the side if needed
    a friend of mine had to do this to clear his rumble seat in a 31 roadster

6. mustangsix

mustangsix

Thanks. Looks like I'll need to check out how to make them shallower.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This shows all the parts and pieces ... use the rubber gasket for a cutting guide ...

[​IMG]

You can get them very short if you work at it ... these are about 1 and 1/4 inches deep total.

There is a company making a better set of 39 tail lights ... IMHO ... http://www.autofiberoptics.com/product2.htm

[​IMG]

They are a LOT brighter and a lot more light shows in the new redesigned ones ... they were designed by a optical light engineer to reflect the light. ALSO ... the area of RED LIGHT is larger. The Stock one only puts out light in the area open in the rubber gasket. :(

The new ones even comes with a pattern to use as a guide for cutting the mounting area :)

JimA ( here on the Hamb ) is a dealer and sells them ... AND they are about the same money as a pair from Bob Drake that you have to modify ...