Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 ford rear question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildbill29tudor, May 5, 2013.

1. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

What is the difference in. 1939 ford car rear and truck rear

2. Carter

Carter

Car and pickup are same.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As a general rule ... the truck will be a LOT lower gear ratio :D

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car and pickup same, unless V8-60 nearly all of both will be 3.78 or 4.11. Truck meaning big trucks, with parallel leaf oxcart type srpings and 4-sppeds, use totally different rears, larger, heavier, lower geared, and pretty much useless for hot rods.
    Easiest separation if you are unfamiliar...car, commercial, pickup in 1938 TWO springs, heavy trucks FOUR. Except for cab and engine almost everything is different on heavies.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

It's either car or light truck, 5 lug pattern x braced frame with a flathead on it, I got it in trade for a model t cowl panel

6. Ford referred to the half ton pickups as "commercial cars" rather than trucks because they were built on a car chassis. '42 was the first year the pickup had its own unique chassis. The whole chassis is the same except more spring leafs and the pickup chassis omits the body mounts riveted to the outside of the frame rails. Radiator mounts differ. Other than that it's the same chassis and running gear. 60 HP vehicles were geared really low, the 60 HP pickups had a real stump puller ratio. If memory serves me right it was something around the mid-4's.

7. Carter

Carter

I believe all V8-60 vehicles came with the 4.44 ratio rear.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app