Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '39 Ford Draglink/wishbone clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongT, Jun 2, 2020.

1. LongT

LongT

'39 Ford, Posie reverse eye spring, dropped axle what would be a good clearance between the draglink and the wishbone, unsplit? 20200602_120355.jpg I have about 1/2" with no glass, interior, fluids, etc (a project). I figure it will drop a bit more when on the road. Bend steering arms more?

2. badshifter

badshifter

They travel together so as long as nothing hits lock to lock in a turn, no need to add extra clearance. Weight, fluids, interior etc. make no difference.

3. LongT

LongT

I thought the same thing when I first put it back together.

Because the '39 has cross steering they do move somewhat separately because the steering box, one end of the draglink, is on the frame the other end is on the axle. With the spring in between the draglink will move in relation to the wishbone as the axle moves up and down.

The reason I know is when I put the axle back on after dropping, axle hanging free max spring extension, the draglink touched the wishbone. When I put the wheels/hubs on and took the car off Jack stands, spring compressed, I got the 1/2" clearance.

It's hard to explain what I am thinking but it is what I see, I think.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020