Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 Ford Deluxe progress- wish I had a garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duste01, Oct 27, 2008.

1. duste01

duste01

Thanks Ryan, our children are truly the greatest part of our lives. Even my Down-syndrome boy makes me smile on my worst days. I love my five boys with all my heart and want to teach them everything I can.

Model T1 likes this.
  2. captmullette

captmullette

good deal, you, and ,your family are both, lucky..........

3. duste01

duste01

Hey, yeah some progress. Here is how it goes. In the fall: clean up and prep for winter, rearrange certain items for winter projects. In the winter: work on small projects that I can do in the house without m wife complaining about the smell or mess at the kitchen table. (Sorry about the hammer knick's on the kitchen table Babe') Now that Special Olympics are over for bowling, Current projects include: Pearlizing my steering-wheel (now that I have dreamed the paint scheme) because I am too poor to send it off to Australia. I am working on prepping the frame for red paint. I am getting my Columbia parts from John in Cali. so I can restore the rear end. I am using electrolysis on some of the more rusty parts on the back porch so they will be fresh to sand in the spring, and I am gathering suspension parts for the spring attack. I had the straight axle dropped and its hiding under the bed. I have been restoring the 2-speed controls and doing little stuff to prepare for spring, including doing catalog searches and planned purchases for the suspension, drive-train, brakes and engine. I am hoping that by spring that I have all the pieces to have the bottom of the body painted and mounted to a finished chassis. When Spring comes then we will pull the cover off and get at it again. If I am real lucky, I might have it on the road by fall because right now I have been having to be picked up and dropped off from work because I was trying to help out my number 2 child by letting him drive my O/T ride to work and instead of getting his feet under him to get his own car, now we are both without wheels. I am planning on going a little custom with it too, so we will see as time goes. I will try to do some pictures too.

Model T1 likes this.
  4. GARY?

GARY?

Cool on so many levels.

5. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

Great project! Not a lot around with solid original floors! Keep those boys interested in old cars that they can rehab and they won't have to go to rehab themselves ! Keep us posted,thanks,Sid

6. fairlanepappy

fairlanepappy
    from columbus

do you still have the car and are you still interested in selling parts or the entire car? If so, it would be easier for me if you just called me. 937-243-2928 user name is fairlanepappy, you can call me Chris. Thanks:)

7. I remember the no garage years! Changing rod bearings in the northern Illinois winter...outside...work about as long as I could stand it,go in the house and warm up for a while then back at it as it was my only transportation.....Also remember the car being frozen to the driveway in 2 inches of ice and chipping it out so I could jack it up....then layin in the snow onna a frozen blanket....yow....You have my admiration my friend!!!

Model T1 likes this.
  8. duste01

duste01

I feel like giving
    Up right now. No one can even imagine how I feel right now. All that I have been working with and for is gone. I have no tools, supplies, or my hard to find parts are all gone. Columbia 2 speed controls melted in the fire. I was close to having all the parts I needed. I'm just so sad right now. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400090201.486904.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Dude.....sorry for the loss!!

Contact me if i can help in any way possible. Send me a PM and I will give you my cell # or call me at work at ext#2031.

10. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

That's a killer car and it's awesome you're doing it with your kids! Best to you and yours!

11. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man I'm sorry to see this this

12. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Oh man!! So sorry for the loss!! But keep your head up. If everybody is okay, then you're all good. It's just stuff, cool stuff for sure, but stuff none the less.

This is the perfect opportunity to show those boys some true character. Pick up the pieces, put them in a dry place (or tarp them) til the house gets fixed, and then get back at it. Let us know what you need, and don't give up.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. Madmax814

Madmax814

I can related, I don't have a shop either ! I need to buy shares in a tarp factory . I usually buy WD-40 by the gallon and keep in a pump sprayer to coat bare metal . I like the ride keep up the good work !

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great job--especially with no garage--great to see the kids involved !!

15. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Way to pass the torch !!!!

16. thunderplex

thunderplex

Good on you. I noticed the Buddy Walk t-shirt

17. metalman

metalman

Oh man, that's sucks! Was it your house? Family Ok?
    Don't give up, if the car itself didn't burn it will good therapy for you and the boys to start over after you get past the important stuff like a roof over your head.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. Oh no, that's not good. What happened? So sorry to see this.

19. Man, I really hate this happened to you. I hope its not as bad as it initially appears. You can't give up though. You have a setback but you can start again.

Model T1 likes this.
  20. fire ?.....what happened ? so sorry to hear.....

21. duste01

duste01

I can't say a whole lot about the family without say too much about the family, but my youngest is taking breathing treatments, and one son will be in prison for the un foreseeable future, which really upsetting. I will be seeing someone myself next week to help me cope with all of it. I have been given the go ahead to sift through the wreckage as of today. Rain of course. Word of advice. Insure your projects! Titled or not. They are not covered with home owners insurance.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. duste01

duste01

I'm sorry John Conley. I wasn't quick enough. Heat treated A-7 and A-21 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400288662.594887.jpg
    Columbia controls
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400288707.534823.jpg

23. duste01

duste01

Sifted through the wreckage today. Still haven't found everything.

24. duste01

duste01

I think that I would like to try to start over again. I don't know how yet. I am missing some key pieces and some rare pieces, but I'm reminded that the car itself has not perished in the fire that took all my tools, my body supplies, my paint guns and my rare Columbia parts as well as all the parts I have purchased over the last three years from various parts suppliers across the country.

25. Model T1

Model T1

Good luck to you duste01. Don't have any idea what happened besides there was a fire. Just don't give up!