Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '39 Ford deluxe coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bob, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Turning out very nice ---- looks great!

Malcolm

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice coupe and should be a keeper for a lot of fun when it doesn't rain.
    Lynn

3. sololobo

sololobo

NIce work guys, love the red color. Looks like some good times ahead behind the wheel of this bad boy. Congrat's, thanx for sharing the process. ~sololobo~

4. jmh

jmh

Looking good so far!! John

5. desotot

desotot

looking good !

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Very nice work!

7. bct

bct

lookin good b-bob. another quality build.

8. reefer

reefer

Brian, the car looks killer, keep plugging away and keep posting pix.

Just a suggestion about your back....I have lower back trouble and riding in a car with a bench seat kills me....you try and stick your ass to the seat in cornering to prevent you sliding over and your lower back takes all the sideways strain.I would suggest either a pair of individual seats with side and lumber supports or at least a set of lap straps to anchor you into position.I know a bench looks better but having a cool looking seat or a nasty back is not worth the risk.

9. wow that looks nice
    i hope to started on mine this summer!

10. tinmann

tinmann

Looks killer, Brian. That is going to be an amazing cruiser.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Hmmmmm....

Beautiful work. Looks like it will be a great car.

12. b-bob

b-bob

Cleaned up and rearranged the shop yesterday. Just had to have a pic of the car out in the sun.
    Today i did the gas pedal linkage, used a pedal from, i am guessing, an seventies or early eighties Ford. Worked out well.
    My fenders came back from the paint shop pretty bad, i met with another painter today and we are going to sand them down and repaint them. Just something else to slow me down.

[​IMG]

Looks like an old stock car in this picture!

13. woodbox

woodbox

This is looking sh!t Hot! What a great part of the build this is!

14. b-bob

b-bob

Could anyone out there help me with a clock for the glovebox? Doesn't need to work, just need to fill the hole. I thought i had one coming, but there was no clock behind the lens, thanks.

15. b-bob

b-bob

Been getting things ready for the headliner guy to do his thing. I've been having problems with my bows, they aren't all the right ones and have had to narrow a couple that must have been out of a Mercury because they have a M beside what appears to be the part number on them. Re-wired the dome light and next will be the tack-strip around the doors, and then the windlacing.
    I can't wait to get the headliner in, so i can start installing the dash and column etc.

Going for another MRI on my back tomorrow and then i see the back surgeon on May 3rd. I hope i don't have to have another surgery untill after the car is on the road. I wouldn't expect it untill next fall, at least because of the wait times.
    Anyway, we just keep going here, but slowly.

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

b-bob I am building a 40 coupe. I am struggling to find the correct bow combination too. Could you send some pictures of your bows installed prior to aupholstry?I have recently purchased some bows but few of them fit in any position.

17. b-bob

b-bob

The headliner is finally done. This headliner is part of a re-pro interior kit. Had a couple of problems with it, but the pro had the experience to fix the problems. Good thing i had this guy to do it because i never could have done it alone.
    Now it is done so i can move on and get the dash and column installed. They are all painted and ready to go.
    I also finally found an original safety hood latch that i have been searching for, for close to year now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. desotot

desotot

looking good Brian, assembly always feels good cause things start progressing at a rate that our wives can better apreciate.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice coupe--you will love it when done--great car to drive and has the look as well-one of Fords best all time designs.

20. woodbox

woodbox

That headliner looks great! What a really fun time of the build you are at!

21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Headliner looks great! I finial found a set of bows on the HAMB last week. They should be here soon.

22. b-bob

b-bob

'39, in the pics i sent, there was one too many bows.
    I had to eliminate the third one back from the front to work with the 'tunnels'in the headliner.
    Hope this makes your installation go easier.

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for the info Bob! That is good to know! keep those posts coming.It gives me inspiration

24. b-bob

b-bob

I'll do my best. Did some sandblasting on some small pieces yesterday, and degreased the door latches and window winders, and trunk latch.
    Getting a group of small parts ready to prime and paint soon. Need a dry day to put the car outside so i can spray.
    Assembling the dash today, had to figure out how to attach the stock choke and throttle knobs to the dash, because they are just 'dummies' now. But i got it done.
    A lot of repro parts came with the car and i am trying to use as much as i can because money is tight. I am on a dis-ability pension and building this car from the sale of my Model A sedan i had.
    Till next time...............

25. b-bob

b-bob

Some progress today. Installed the cowl vent and glovebox door in the dash.
    Then put the dash and steering column in the car.

Yesterday painted all the door and window mechanisms, trunk and hood latches and afew other small items. More stuff to install soon.
    I think i'll just install parts for the next while, lot more fun than cleaning,sanding and painting parts.
    Nice to see some progress happening. Here's a couple pics; the red paint looks a lot lighter than it really is, it's actually dark red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I must have missed your recent updates but wow, the car looks great and I love the color. Nice job man. You'll be cruisin it before you know it. :D

27. b-bob

b-bob

I hope for sometime before summer is over. Just have to keep going.

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The headliner and dash look really nice. It's coming together well!

29. Westco48

Westco48

That's awesome progress...a 39' sedan popped up today on CL the guy wants 4500.00 says it needs brakes some engine work...I was so tempted to call and take a look but I'm up to my ears in projects...still, I dig these years.

Heres the link, I thought a may be a good find for someone you hardly see these come up for sale...in San Diego

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2985150725.html

30. b-bob

b-bob

'48 that would sell quick up here in the rainforest. What nature didn't get, the crushers have. Anything that has been outside for that long here on the coast would be pretty rough by now.
    Thanks for the link.