Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 FORD CHASSIS for my sweet driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TXMark, Nov 21, 2012.

1. TXMark

TXMark

I got spanked the last time i posted for mentioning brand names

option 1- stock frame aftermarket IFS kits and rear spring mods I would have to be a usable frame

option 2- stock frame with an after market subframe and rear leaf springs

option 3- after market complete frame, buy my own IFS stuff

option 4- buy a complete chassis:eek:

I have the skill to do any of these, of course they are listed from low to high$$

My engine of choice is a built 331 Hemi, with a a833 4speed

2. option 5- stock original frame with dropped front axle and split bones , CE rear parallel leaf spring kit

3. Ole don

Ole don

Option five is best. The old style spring, when clean and in good condition, will ride and handle as good as anything in that chassis. Good shocks, a later model steering gear with a panard bar, a sway bar, good brakes, and it all bolts in. Its a no brainer!

4. or option 6 this setup with the rear cross leaf intact.

There is nothing wrong with the buggy spring that a little intellegence won't cure. :rolleyes:

Of course there is the 7th option but that involves using any or all of the first 4 options and forgetting about building a traditional hot rod alltogether.:(

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I think that IFS was so rammed down everyones throats by the magazines in the 80's and 90's and beyond, that people forget how good a properly set up buggy spring can be.

I have a stock 38 axle and bones (un split) on my 36 with a posies reversed eye srping chassis eng shocks and disc brakes.

Out back I have the stock 36 spring that I cleaned up and smoothed the tips where they sit on the lower leaf, and added spring liner, with P&J ladder bars....and it rides good...

lots of good options already mentioned.
    good luck

6. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

x2. but, i'd take it a step further and specify using a 1935-1936 front axle and wishbone. the axle is a bit wider and the perch-to-perch is narrower so when you drop it you don't lose much of your steering radius. :D

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

Just my two cents worth - After having both, I would go with the Mustang II and rack steering. It works MUCH better than a vega box and cross steer.

8. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I went through something similar on my 40, decided to do it myselft, bought the whole CE frame package, boxed the frame myself, etc. Frankly, I am worn out from the effort it took to make everything fit, work, and look right. I still have a 70+ year old frame to worry about. There is no doubt that I Would have been miles and years ahead to pop for a complete rolling chassis. Many origninal frames of this vintage are severely rusted, especially right under the battery box. Quite a few are bent and twisted from years of use and abuse.

There was a guy who used to show up at Chickasha from Arkansas that offered a scratch built 40 chassis for less than what I had in mine after buying all the CE stuff.

9. Well there is a good reason to go traditional right there. Cost effectiveness.