Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Ford body mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39custom, Jun 19, 2018.

1. 39custom

39custom

Today I received my Vintique body to frame cushion set complete with installation diagram.
    I see there is no requirements for cushions from the firewall forward.
    As I started this project from a pile of un-assembled parts I have nothing to compare it to.

My question is; Do the front fenders, inner fender panels and grill mount straight to the chassis. To me the body would have some movement but the front fenders, inner fender panels and grill would not. Would this not lead to misalignment (or movement) where the front fender bolts to the body.

2. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

My 37 has same frame as your 39. It was a complete car that had never been apart when I got it. There were no cushion mounts on fenders or other body parts forward of the firewall. But the radiator mounting bolts at the bottom had springs that would allow a small amount of motion. I believe that the body mount cushions are for acoustic and vibration control only and not for flexibility.

3. alchemy

alchemy

The front fenders and grille assembly is hung from the yoke at the front. The big yoke mounts in the center to the front crossmember, and I'd guess is designed to eliminate adding stresses to the front doghouse when the front rails of the frame might twist during rough driving. Kinda making the doghouse float in the front. The rear of the fenders are bolted to the cowl sides, and the back corner of the inner fenders is bolted to the side of the frame, I think using the same bolt that hold the square splash shield (which are always mangled or missing). So, to answer your question, the only spot that might have a cushion is under the inner fender rear corners, but I'm not positive about that.

4. 39custom

39custom

Thanks Frank and Alchemy. Looks like I can move ahead and get the body mounted on the frame and sort out the front later.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app