Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 chevy getting new motor.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Oct 29, 2011.

1. harley rider

harley rider

rear bumper and mirrors bolted on. not sure what I'm going to do for a front bumper yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. harley rider

harley rider

I finally finished all the wiring except for the front lights,I'll do that when the front end goes on. I have never wired a whole car, I used an E-Z wire harness it was fairly easy just time consuming. there customer service tech was very helpful. waiting to bolt on fenders and hood till I start engine .the wife wants the cam to be plenty lopey if not I will change it. I think it will be though. also want to install windsheild first so I dont have to work over the fenders. and for some reason I want to drive around the block no fenders or hood and open headers. going to work on some kick panels and tie up some lose wire under dash today.

3. harley rider

harley rider

Started the engine friday .that was music to my ears, it sounds great .I need to build some exhaust and tune this thing.I temparaly hung the fenders, was going to make some dumps just behind the front tire but realized I didnt have enough room with the batt. were it is .plan b I bought a Speedways exhaust kit.I'll go ahead and make the pipes and see if I can tap into it farther back ahead of the mufflers.I made some dumps and caps to use, spent half a day making them may just save them for some thing else

Attached Files:

4. harley rider

harley rider

made some kick panels.need to get some carpet and mount the seats. will be mostly done with interior. ordered all the rubber parts so I can get the glass guy over to do windshield,and finish the body asembly.

Attached Files:

5. harley rider

harley rider

Got the seats mounted .still need to get some carpet. I've been looking for some 15" wheels for rear to match the slots on front .I have some 14" so I went ahead and mounted them up till I find some others. glass guy coming back today to install windshield.

Attached Files:

6. harley rider

harley rider

Windshield in , Glass guy had to make two trips to get center seem correct.it looks great. if you'r in the wichita area and need glass for an old car Kevin Cambell is the man. now I can finish boltin on the front sheet metal, and drive it. goin to try and drive it to a car show at the local drag strip next week. then we are takin a week off to go get our yearly fix of nitromethane at heartland park.

Attached Files:

7. harley rider

harley rider

OK back from vacation and chores caught up . back to the 39 gotta get it on the street. before I left the fuel pump quit ( I thought). pulled the tank it was empty,felt like a real dumbass. oh well need to fix fuel guage sender any ways. found another at my sons salvage yard. got the hood bolted on and lined up.putting the front sheet metal on is a little backwards hood goes on first.

Attached Files:

8. gatz

gatz

what is the pusher fan from, or is it an after-market ?

9. sweet piece !!!

10. harley rider

harley rider

aftermarket Zirgo fan.

11. harley rider

harley rider

after pulling the tank to find it was empty I tried to fix sending unit not sure it will work with the stewart warner gauge. while I had the tank out I decided to do away with the efi pump and use an external holley pump.so I removed the pump and replaced it with a peice of 3/8 tubing down to the pick up point ,cut off a strainer and clamped to the end. was able to use all the existing hard lines that had A-N fittings had to have one line made up and buy 1 fitting .fabed a mount and a rock sheild . should have done this in the first place.

Attached Files:

12. harley rider

harley rider

got the front fenders bolted on while my wife was fitting some carpet.

Attached Files:

13. harley rider

harley rider

finished nailin down the front end and wiring the headlights. need to finish carpet order some seat belts get seats and headlights back in . then we should be on the street for the rest of the summer.

Attached Files:

14. harley rider

harley rider

headlights in and working. trying to decide wether to leave the fender grilles chrome or paint them body color what do you think?

Attached Files:

15. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

I took the chrome trim off and just have painted grills

16. Leakie

Leakie

Hey Harley Rider, how do you get that battery out with the fender on? Is there enough room to remove it?

17. harley rider

harley rider

it will come out with fender on, It helps to take off front wheel.

18. harley rider

harley rider

with the grilles off there is just a big sqaure hole.

19. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

Someone must have cut the fenders at some point, The chrome trim is after market. It wasn't uncommon for the louvers to get bent.

20. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

I'll try a picture

Attached Files:

21. harley rider

harley rider

thanks I know all this .if I had the original louvers in the fender I would'nt have this question.

22. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

I'd probably leave them chrome. Now that I see the whole picture!

23. harley rider

harley rider

got every thing buttoned up ,time for a drive. my kids showed up on fathers day we all piled in and took off .only problem was a bit of tire rub on right rear, may have to install new rear suspension I have sooner than later. other than that the engine got a little warm ,it is a new engine still seating rings. her it is returning from its first test drive.

Attached Files:

24. harley rider

harley rider

now that ive driven it a little I see that running boards are needed .I have some steel ones but they are very rough.so I'm going to make some from wood .used the original for a basic pattern, then had to fit each one because of the way the rear fenders had been modified in the past.after filled and smooth will look like steel. we'll see.

Attached Files:

25. harley rider

harley rider

finished the running boards.made a big diference in the way the car looks .what do you think ? would'nt mind a little feed back .

Attached Files:

26. harley rider

harley rider

got some pin sriping .

Attached Files:

27. harley rider

harley rider

hello is there anyone out there?

28. canerat

canerat

Looks good to me. I like it!

29. SIC98

SIC98

Sorry Harley Rider, My computer was down, tryin' to catch up! The 39 looks awesome, the paint, int., rake, everything looks great, the Mrs. should be proud, great job! Love the pinstriping too!!....Brian

30. harley rider

harley rider

Thanks brian. the wife is very proud.she almost cried when we came home with this from the first show we entered.

Attached Files: