Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 chevy getting new motor.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Oct 29, 2011.

1. harley rider

harley rider

thanks sololobo. cant wait to drive this car again. work is slow for me now so I have plenty of time to work on car. fortunatly I already have most of the parts I need to get this car on the street again. be glad to get this damn sanding finished and get back to turnin wrenches. I work part time in a body shop but i'm not a body man.

2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I'm working on a 39 myself... I'll stayed tuned for sure to see what's going on with your car...

3. harley rider

harley rider

finally got some color sprayed today.while I was painting I realized the good thing about painting in winter is no bugs.

Attached Files:

4. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Are you going with a/c , if not you may regret welding up that cowl vent . Could not pay me enough to weld the vent shut in my 39.

5. harley rider

harley rider

I bought a zips water pump riser. put a couple bolts in it to see what angle water neck I needed. is that thing cool or what?

Attached Files:

6. carl4675

carl4675
    from Conroe, TX

I had a 39 Chevy coupe about 10 years ago....I ran a 2002 LS-1 in it with a 4L60 E....it was a bad ass car....39 is my favorite year for Chevy's....you have a nice car...can't wait to see it when your finished.

7. harley rider

harley rider

I am going a/c not right away though .we thought about that before I welded it in. vent was sealed with silicone when I got it, it was nasty we drove it all over during the hotest summer in kansas history. the vent windows were good enough.I also didn't like the leek potintial in a heavy rain.

8. Nice build, keep the pics coming!

9. harley rider

harley rider

we got a temperary paint booth made up this week end.should finish paint on front fenders today.still have a bit of sanding to do on body .should be in primer this week. the wife helped with some masking. geting closer every day.

Attached Files:

10. harley rider

harley rider

got some paint on fenders. got a sag in one of them .I guese thats what sand paper is for.

Attached Files:

11. harley rider

harley rider

Ok I got the body in primer today.

Attached Files:

12. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Subscribed! Nothing like starting with an engine swap, and turning it into a great upgrade of the whole car. Great progress so far, and can't wait to see more.

13. harley rider

harley rider

Ya it kind of snowballed on me when we decided to paint while the engine was out.

14. harley rider

harley rider

I've been busy with other things finnaly got my deck lid back from the body shop,I screwed it up when welding up some holes in it.I got some new tail lights. I was blowing holes in the originals with beed blaster. maybe I'll get it painted next week

Attached Files:

15. harley rider

harley rider

I am almost at the end of this painting project. painted door and trunk jams,and taillight buckets. now I need to reinstall door latches so I can close the doors and paint the body tomorow.

Attached Files:

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice work! Looking really good!

17. harley rider

harley rider

Thanks .going to shoot some color tommorow. hope this goes well.

18. harley rider

harley rider

It went well. it is painted.now I can get back to gettin the new engine installed.

Attached Files:

19. harley rider

harley rider

a few pics unmasked and outside.

Attached Files:

20. harley rider

harley rider

Now I can get back to where this project started. Had to re paint frame, got some over spray on it .got engine and tranny bolted together.while waiting for paint to dry started to run some wires.

Attached Files:

21. harley rider

harley rider

Got the engine bolted in . Headers on ,engine wired.feel like iam making some progress now. Sorry if some of my pics suck i'm not a photographer.

Attached Files:

22. harley rider

harley rider

was able to get all my front engine acsesories mockup and lined out.had to fab up some mounts for ps pump I had. now I just have to figure out the pressure line.and find some radiator hoses that will work.

Attached Files:

23. harley rider

harley rider

took the advice of HAMB member Duece Roadster and installed a chevy bleeder valve in the water pump riser.This is a much better set up than just a srew to bleed air.I looked all over for the alt. adjusting arm.I was in orielys looking at there wall of chrome and there it was only $10. here is a couple pics all bolted together. still need to change out alt. pulley but havent been able to get it off. may just buy another.

Attached Files:

24. SIC98

SIC98

Looks great Harley Rider, can't wait to see it back together, love those 39 seedans....Brian

25. harley rider

harley rider

Thanks Brian. cant wait myself.had to take some time away this week to make some money. doin a disc brake conversion on a customers biscayne.

Attached Files:

26. harley rider

harley rider

Finished the paying work . now back to my project. got radiator back from shop.got it mounted and hoses figured out.finished wiring under dash. need to fab up a battery mount and see if I can do an electrical check today.probably get some fluids in and start engine this week.

Attached Files:

27. SIC98

SIC98

Lookin' good, keep it up.. Your customers 64 is nice too...Brian

28. tjmercury

tjmercury

Wow! Looks like its coming together really nicely. Can't wait to see it when its finished!

29. harley rider

harley rider

Thanks guys. got battery mounted and was able to check the wiring that is finished.every thing worked to this point .wired tail lights and fuel pump and third brake light. for some reason the third brake light works but others dont. Ill figure that out today I hope.

Attached Files:

30. harley rider

harley rider

well I did'nt get engine started this week. got side tracked building a green house.did get some stuff done. wired a power distribution block to pull power for circuits i'm wiring thru relays like the fuel pump and fan. fabed a mount for tag and a new mount for rad support this little thing was all that held up the whole front end it was kind of flexible so I made a new one that is more solid with 4 bolts in frame not just 2.

Attached Files: