Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 chevy, business coupe steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COPCO, Aug 24, 2018.

1. COPCO

COPCO

I'm looking for a steering box for my 39 chevy Master 85 coupe. My front (straight) axle wore out until the king pins were loose in the axle. So, I replaced it with a Jegs 4" drop straight axle with the Mustang brakes, etc. and the Chevy bolt pattern. The steering box was pretty worn so I put in all new bushings, bearings, and races. I've tried everything and can't get it to NOT develop the "wobble" when I hit a bump at more than 40 MPH. So, I bought a reversed Corvair box. The hot-rod shop I took it to put the new Corvair box tells me the geometry will be wrong. I told them not to start on anything.
    S0...…………….does anyone know where I could find an original box. I've adjusted it every way the original book tells me to. I think the worm might be just worn out.
    Thanks for listening.
    Copco

2. Joe H

Joe H

I went to Ebay and started buying NOS parts for my '40 Chevrolet steering box. It didn't take long to get all the parts needed to build a NOS box. Mine drives as good any car on the road.

Does yours use one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Chevr...W5bbicu:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!64086!US!-1
    I hear they can cause all kinds of problems with the steering. I just checked e-bay and found a couple pitman shafts and one worm shaft that could work.
    I also replaced the ball and socket tie-rod ends with the newer, sealed type, that made a difference since the balls and sockets were worn on mine.

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Did it wobble before the axle swap?

4. carryallman

carryallman

you might try a steering stabilizer ? done it -it works -try "pete N jakes " very reasonable !

5. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

In my opinion, you don't have enough caster.