Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '39 box cluster gear clearance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RobertDip, Oct 1, 2018.

1. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Can anyone help with with a clearance problem I have with a '39 top loader. My cluster either has to much end play at .021, and with a shim measuring .020, even though it goes in and does not drag the cluster, I am afraid that I do not have enough clearance for proper oiling. I do not have any info of the specs on cluster end play for this tranny.

2. Mac VP

Mac VP

The factory spec was .005” to .015” at the rear thrust face. If you’ve got more than.015” with new washers front and rear, the case is probably worn at the rear thrust face. If the wear is pretty smooth and even, you can buy some miles by using the steel shim washer. If the rear face is worn unevenly or has sharp edges to it, you’ll have to replace the case or try to figure out a way to machine that area flat again and fill the gap.

3. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Thank you Mac VP. The case I use is the 'stronger' case with the full bottom rib extending from front to back. Both front and rear thrust washer surfaces are smooth and perfect. Was this case re-built at one time and these surfaces refaced..?? The thrust washer front & rear are new. I had an issue with the synchro that uses the older style ball & spring and something went wrong there. This trans only has less that 200 driven miles since my re-build, and putting the synchro situation aside, this astonished me. Photo...new bearings and counter shaft...shaft galled??? It appears that the new bearings riveted 4 posts may be a larger diameter than the roller bearings and causing this damage. ( repop parts quality ??? ) There is a lot of clearance from end to end making the roller bearings and spacer not subject to binding. Using another of my 'rare L-Z 25 T gears, I am in no mood to not doing this rebuild correctly. I have other similar trannies that I rebuilt, and this is a new mystery for me. The shim I used for eliminating end to end play is from .020 SS shim stock. What I would need is a shim measuring .015 to get the .006 clearance. Is such an animal available? Any comment on this countershaft wear??

Attached Files: