Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39-48 ford hydraulics booster/MC?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Josh the Painter, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Hi guys,
    For me to legally run the early ford hydraulic brakes on my 28 chevy project here in Australia I need to run a dual circuit system.
    I read lots of issues people have had running after market booster/ master cylinder configurations and certain other factory setups. Im looking for advice or suggestions for what guys successfully run. Im probably not going to run a booster so advice on a dual circuit master cylinder would be good.
    Preferably something easily available new.
    Apparently the Tuff Stuff corvette systems sold through speedway work well but theres different options and I dont have part numbers.

Ive read of guys running 2 factory ford master cylinders,one for each circiuit, but not sure how you would set this up.

Really looking for some solid advice here.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Josh, why not a mustang or possibly mopar 4 wheel drum master cylinder.

Josh the Painter likes this.
  3. I read guys used the early 4 wheel drum mustang master cylinder with varying degrees of success, Im guessing some failures are due to the way the pedals are set up also.

Thanks, I will shoot him a PM. Im familiar with the thread but had not payed attention at the time of reading how he approached the brakes.

Cheers guys,
    Josh

4. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Get a Mustang master set up for drum/drum brakes. If you're mounting it under the floor, get the one with built-in residual pressure valves to make life easier. You can tell if it has the valves in it by pushing on the outlets with a small screwdrive/awl. If it feels like there's a spring inside, that's the valve. Next, be sure the master cylinder reaches its full stroke before the pedal bottoms out and you're good to go. The negative comments you'll hear are regarding the pedal not being able to push the rod of the master cylinder the entire stroke, thereby negating the benefit of the dual master.

Josh the Painter and ted kovacs like this.
  5. Thanks for this mate, this helps a lot.
    Cheers,
    Josh