Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39-'42 Studebaker Gasser Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, May 22, 2009.

1. shaffer

shaffer

oldsrocket's 40 stude, living in West Virginia now. Street-legal and 4 speed.

Attached Files:

2. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Mustang II cut out and gone, straight axle in. Officially a gasser project.

Installing a wider rear, then radius the NOS fenders for tire clearance.
    Tried to get out easy by placing the springs under the frame....wasn't happening, car sat way-way too high, so I had to make spring perches on the outside of the frame rails to move the springs up higher to lower the nose a tad.

Attached Files:

earlymopar and exterminator like this.
  3. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Yes, but I had them substitute a pair of their 26" long T bucket springs in place of the 31" long springs that come in the kit.
    The Stude has a fairly short snout, and the longer spring would have caused a ton of issues. Would have had to mount them as close to the backside of the fenders as possible, then you would either have to drill a new centering pin hole further forward, or make spring pads with an offset hole to place the axle further ahead on the spring to get it located correctly in the wheel opening.

The short spring made this really easy.

Chucky likes this.
  4. exterminator

exterminator

Thanks for the info

5. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Your welcome, glad to be of some help.

6. Danny G

Danny G

I welded a 4 inch piece of 2x3 tubing over the end of the frame so I could use longer springs

7. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

I also inserted a 2x3 tube into the end of the frame rails which brought it out to within 1/2 inch of the fenders, and the spring shackles are right behind the fenders,as far forward as I could place them. Might still have to drill a new centering pin hole to "cheat" the wheelbase ahead another 3/4-1 inch. It looks o.k. as is, but I think I want it located just a touch further forward.

8. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

[GALLERY=] zStude2.jpg zStude.jpg [/GALLERY]In epoxy primer now.

exterminator and 5w32 like this.
  9. Follow Build.
    If you would like to follow the Super Stude's build, it's on racingjunk.com and my handle is gasserted.
    Just ask to be Friend.

10. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Thoughts...?!? Restoration... For Colson's Legacy, Kool Azz ride!

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  12. ^^^I agree with coololdcars^^^
    ron colson stude.jpg ron colsons stude gasser.jpg

exterminator and loudbang like this.
  13. vanherrb

vanherrb

why studebaker gassers ? you may ask....answer,,,low weight...
    the stude engineers in 1939 were ordered to reduce weight,,and add strength,,,
    for the purpose of mpg,,, the stude ad sales people pitched the fact that stude was the mpg leader of the time in mid size cars..
    and a 1941 champion 4 door scaled only 2520 lbs. a coupe 2450 ,,,with a x-member frame for stiffness,,,on a 110 inch wheelbase...
    so for the hot rodder,,, a 20 to 50 dollar stude car versus 400 for a rare willys coupe,,only 100 lbs lighter

loudbang likes this.
  14. ...Ron Colson's Stude will be getting restored back to 62 specs...
    2018 meltdown 117.jpg

15. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

Oh my god that car is awesome!!!!!! tapatalk_1543287455185.jpeg tapatalk_1543287444812.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

exterminator and loudbang like this.
  16. Ron Colson's Stude has a VW Bug front suspension.

loudbang likes this.
  17. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

I see that now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  18. 7F83F953-C834-4234-BE8A-A2BBBC6A6FCB.jpeg Photo from the early 70’s taken at OCIR / Orange County International Raceway in Orange County, Ca. Photo credit to Auto Imagery Inc.

MUNCIE, loudbang and exterminator like this.
  19. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

loudbang likes this.
  20. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

21. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Orange Ade was originally built and raced by Ed Stegena. Ran an unusual combination of a small block Chevy mated to a Pushbutton torqueflite. He sold it when he opened a transmission shop. There is a great piece on it wirhhome moviescand interviews with Ed on the dvd Gassers Galore from Beeonvideo- he is also on their other dvd Gassers of the 50’s 60’s and 70’s when he ran an early 50’s Chevy and. 55 Chevy.

22. ProvenGuilty

ProvenGuilty

Does anyone know more history on the 5th car posted in the first post in this thread? Its a 1940 Studebaker Champion that was named "The Misfit" and owned previously by a man named Pete in Wareham, Mass. I believe it was raced at New England Dragway.

It's currently sitting in my garage and I'd love to know more history about the car and its heritage! Thank you.

Attached Files:

bchctybob and Chucky like this.
  23. ProvenGuilty

ProvenGuilty

Here's a few more photos I was able to dig up on the internet. Its 82 years old, I'm curious to know of its previous owner(s) before Pete had it as well or previous names / heritage. From best I can tell its been raced its whole life!
    976802_10151411417626050_1029097433_o.jpeg

Attached Files:

bchctybob, Chucky and MUNCIE like this.
  24. I think? it’s been a really long time since this car had 4 tires touching the ground. I believe this is the 4th front suspension either planned or installed and the 3rd rear suspension hung from this chassis. The stories it could tell…
    IMG_2888.jpeg

bchctybob and lumpy 63 like this.
  25. A friend sent me this today… if anyone knows more about this car, I’d like to hear about it.
    IMG_4981.jpeg

LOST ANGEL and bchctybob like this.