Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 plymouth coupe window regulator problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rcranger, Sep 10, 2018.

1. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

friend has a 38 plymouth that had a power window conversion years ago , the problem is that the window tips in as it raises and it you dont put light pressure out on it ,it will hit at the top and crack the glass he has dealt with this for years after he bought it and replaced many windows, was looking to see if anyone had picts of the interior of the door so i can try to get an idea of stock to try to figure why glass is tilting in ,was going to try to help him fix this before he puts in storage

2. bct

bct

is that a "smokers window"?

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I would assume that the power window set up installed in the car was from a modern vehicle that had curved glass. If so, the brackets the window tracks on is curved, but the 38 Plymouth needs straight tracks. Maybe the current track can be pressed straight (but most can't be), and all will be well. On most of the modern stuff, the windows also have curved curved glass guides, you need to be sure there are straight glass guides on the sides of the glass.

The next option is to adapt the current curved track to a straight track. Sometimes this can be accomplished with a simple spacer between the window and the curved track.

I don't have pictures but the original 38 Plymouth had rigid window guides on both sides of the glass the window slid inside of when they went up and down. At the bottom of the window was a horizontal channel the glass sat in. That channel had a slotted guides on each end of the channel. The window lift mechanism arm was geared on one end with a roller on the other end that fit into one of the window channel slots. At the center of the lift arm was a cross brace the was riveted to the center of the lift arm and it had a roller on each end. One roller fit into the 2nd slot in the window channel and the other end fit into a slot attached to the inside of the door. The window lifted up and down by a sissier effect of the cross arms and the slotted guides as the geared wheel was turned.

Pictures of what you have would be helpful. The fix could be pretty simple, and you might still be able to use what is there. Gene

4. Couple of suggestions......first off has your friend joined the P15-D24 Forum.........whilst they are specifically aimed at 1946-48 Plymouth & Dodge these guys are very knowledgable regarding prewar and other mopars and maybe able to help........I've had my 1940 dodge since 1971 and wasn't till I had been a member of this forum that I found out why the glove box lid was a PITA to open......it needed a "glove box lid spring"..........I didn't know such an animal existed and it works a charm now...after 47 yrs..............lol...........so I'd suggest he get on the Forum...........my car doesn't have power windows but a couple of questions.......is the light pressure on the top edge of the window to slow the window down? or is it to gently push it back into its guide?............if the 1st then is there some way of adjusting the power window "throw" so that it doesn't keep pushing up or if the 2nd then is the window "bailey channel" there and if so is it in the correct spot and does it, the bailey Channel go all the way up the side and along the top giving the glass a guide or channel to follow and sit into when closed?........ideally a pic or two of the setup thats there would be a big help.............also is the power window conversion an aftermarket one or one that's been cobbled together from a factory power window setup and also how is it connected......ie, is it directly onto the original winder gears or is it a cable arrangement?.............What Gene says is essentially what I have in my 1940 model ...regards from Oz............Andy Douglas

5. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

the 2nd the glass tips inward as it raises need to push out to keep it from catching and breaking , gene is the piece the glass sits in fit into the channels? or ride on outside of them we are going to take it apart in a week or 2 and will get picts them, maybe it is that the channels are curved and possible to come up with solution ,think i have some old tracks from an international that i took apart couple years ago maybe they can be adapted

6. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

will check out that forum andy thanks

7. The glass is normally held into the horizontal metal channel on the bottom with a piece of glaziers rubber that is a tight fit between the glass and the horizontal metal channel that the winding mechanism arms fit into........the horizontal channel is normally not as long as the glass is wide(usually 1-2" narrower) which allows the glass to slide in the bailey channel as the arms sissor and raise the channel with window up or lower it down........I'd be checking to see whether the glass is actually in the right spot on the horizontal channel.....it maybe a little forward or back allowing it to miss locating in the bailey channel as it moves............I assume this is the front door window.......is there a 1/4 vent that it slides against or is it a one piece window without a 1/4 vent and should have a corresponding piece of bailey channel at the front also...........andyd

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

The side guides are steel channels covered with soft material. The guides fit into recesses in the doors (may be held in place with small screws or they may be glued in place) and the glass slides inside of them.
    www.robertsmotorparts.com is very helpful on all the weather stripping the Plymouth will need. They have the window guides and most other stuff in stock, comes in 1 long piece, you cut to fit. Gene