Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Plymouth 4 door ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Jan 6, 2011.

1. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

except for the paint this is exactly like my very first car bought for $20 in 1956. drove it sans license, car and myself, on many a dirt road. car was tuff as nails! i'd leave body stock, newer suspension, updated running gear, maybe OHC poniac 6, nice interior and a dark cherry ,wildberry color. but it is yours enjoy and please keep us up todate with its transformation. larry

2. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to have this project. If it isn't for you than don't force it, let someone else have a shot at it. Now that it's running you probably stand to be well reimbursed for your time, you can feel good that you saved it, and you can put it in someone's hands that will cherish it.
    No matter what you do with it, you've done good bye me for saving some very nice tin. If it were mine I would lower it and drive it.

3. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

4. DougHH

DougHH

Dont ute it! it appears to be pretty solid nick.
    IMHO this is what i would do (prolly will end up doing with my '36 mordoor)

shoot the rear guards sideways a few inches to get a more aggressive profile.
    lower it.
    take 2 or 3 inches outta the roof.
    2-door it.
    make some rear wheel covers/spats.
    maybe dump it on a later model chassis as another poster said. cheaper, quicker, easier.
    drive the wheels off it.

you have the opportunity to build a daily you dont mind thrashing. you wont worry about the paint job, or a few warts & dents and frankly you cannot have more fun in a car when that happens.

5. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Restore it. Paint it gloss black. Drive around town in it with a few guys, all of you dressed in vintage-looking pinstripe suits and matching fedoras and carrying violin cases.

If anybody asks, tell them you're "musicians" and you are looking for some guy called "Spats."

:cool:

6. Man, I wish I had spare cash for something like this. It'd be perfect for beating back and forth to work (3.7 miles), giving the idiots around here something to look at other than SUVs. Nice find.

"Spats"...HA!

7. Grilleguy

Grilleguy

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by scotts52 [​IMG]
    Paint it yellow and black and turn it into a hot rod taxi.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    I've seen this done and it's actually a really cool way to use a more door.

Here's a picture of my '37 Dodge Taxi from the mid 80's at York, NSRA Nats East. I started building it when I was 13, drove it to high school when I turned 16 in '81.

A Mustang II goes right in, and I had a 8 3/4" Mopar rear and a 383 Chrysler engine in it.

(Sorry for the funky picture, I took a picture out of a book that my brother had printed)

Attached Files:

• Taxi.JPG
      Taxi.JPG
      File size:
      85.7 KB
      Views:
  8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, what did you decide to build?

9. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, whats the decision?? You're not that far away and I have a trailer....

10. toolmaker

toolmaker
    from Holland,Mi

I love this car. Built by Randy Northuis from Holland, Mi. from a 30s Studebaker, kinda the same as your mopar.

Attached Files:

11. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Toolmaker, do you have any more pics or build info? I like that! I want a bucket, but there is no way I would fit in one!

12. toolmaker

toolmaker
    from Holland,Mi

Sorry, I see Randy maybe once or twice a year. I know that it's cad powered and I think a throwaway car that really hit home with me. I think it got put to the back of barn and Randy moved on to other projects.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. That looks familiar! :eek: Cad motor too. Must be twins separated at birth...

Brian

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My above reply was worthless without pictures, right?

I saw that car at the Nat's North several years ago, after seeing the artwork by Thom Taylor in "Rod&Custom" a year before that. I was struck by the art, and then to see it brought to life a short time later, was inspiring. On my way home that day, I stopped at my neighbors place and bought the '36 Ford sedan that became my "Fordillac".

I haven't seen the 'Stude since, and I only got a couple of pics of it at the show, so I'm really glad to see the photos here, and to know the builder is local. It's coincidental that they both have big Caddy engines, I didn't remember the 'Stude did. I simply used the 472 I had yanked out of my '48 Pontiac 'convert.

Thanks for posting them, it's great to see them here.

Brian

Attached Files:

15. Do Again

Do Again
    from San Diego

That's a solid runner! Clean her up and take the family out in style!

16. So....what did you decide to do?

17. 29essex

29essex

He's too busy posting on other threads about people who are just whiners when it comes to classified ads, him claiming to have 40 or more Wally trophies, commenting on things about movie cars, showing pictures of his girls with a half gay copy of the Herbie car, and various other things. I guess he probably needs someone to hold his hand on this project. I'm sure it's just like he's had to have for various other things he's been involved with in the past. Like I had said before, no vision.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I see it in maroon with a mohair interior, slightly lowered over bias-ply blackwalls, two or three carburetors and a split manifold on a &#8216;50s MoPar flathead six, with a 5-speed manual transmission and a disc brake conversion.

Get yourself a fedora hat and a pipe and you&#8217;re all set.

-Dave

19. J.Royseth

J.Royseth
    from Norway

I've just found me one like it. Hope to bring it home next weekend. It has been dry stored since the 1940's. Paint is german army grey. A gentleman bought it after the war,but never took his drivers license,so the car is almost unused. It has red leather interior.

Here's the pictures. (Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.) Now it's mine. Paid it today. Will bring it home saturday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man I want to see that!

21. Rusty46

Rusty46

Hell no on the SBC....yawn...

Take the bumpers off and slam it. 3" chop. Tinkered slant 6 with Offy dual 1bbl intake and a header. Be different...

22. I agree, dependable performance is kinda boring...not very traditional either. SBC's have only been around since 1955! lol!

23. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

How about making a Woodie.