Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Plymouth 4 door ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Jan 6, 2011.

1. badshifter

badshifter

Any ideas before I pass this free gem on to the next unsuspecting person? It's a freebie to me anyhow if I could think of something USEFUL to do with it. Any ideas or photoshop ideas? (besides the obvious....)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

You could give it to me and use it as a tax write off!

3. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

4. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

make a "ute" out of it?

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  6. pigpen1

pigpen1

you could rent it out to the homeless.

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

nice... real classy.

I've got a '38 2dr that I'm working over for my mother, planning a lowering job, dual carbs, twice pipes, skirts... done!

8. badshifter

badshifter

What can you afford to pay? Or are your already living in that C cab um...thing?

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

lmfao!:d

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. hell I would pay for it

11. pigpen1

pigpen1

the c cab is my doghouse

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

would make a great donor for a certain coupe I know of. absolutely get it.

13. scotts52

scotts52

Paint it yellow and black and turn it into a hot rod taxi.

14. screwball

screwball

would make a great low rider. Or tail dragger. Or you could let the home less live in it. Even as it is it would be a set up for pigpen1.

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

So, what ARE your plans for it?

16. AssGasket

AssGasket

308 Hudsons are awesome...

If I were you I'd paint it up like a WWII squad car....

17. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

Early lowrider / bomb

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first thought was the Japs would love it to make 47 toyotas out off, but then with other suggestions I have to agree that would make a kick ass Bomb!! Essie!

Doc.

(How the fuck do you spell esse, essey, whatever...............)

Not sent from my iPhone using TJJ
    (Hell I have trouble with a rotary phone)

19. AssGasket

AssGasket

I think it's "ese", vato...

-a gringo

20. badshifter

badshifter

Step one is to save it from getting scrapped. I got involved when I was called to see if I knew of a junkyard or scrap guy that could "get it out of the driveway".
    Step two is to see if any ideas get me interested in doing something with it. (not yet)
    Step three is to post it on the HAMB for ideas. I'm at step three.

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! I'm pretty sure there's no '12 step' program for hot rodders!;)

It would make a cool Bonneville push car....

22. Doc
    Esey only has one S.

Tell what I wouldn't do with it. I wouldn't paint it purple. :eek:

I think if it was mine I would make a Gansta ride out of it. Might give it a mild section leaving the fenders and grill shell intack but moving the fenders up the amount of the section and let the grill shell hang down so that the hood lines up in the right place.

If I could find one or had the cash to find one is probably a better way to put it I would give serious to a Hudson Twin-H to go under that lowered hood.

Real nice diamond tuck interior, a Fat Lucky's if I could swing it.

Oh BTW I don't care for more doors but that one has possibilities if you treat it like what it is.

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

OR...

You could ask the question:

Here is a hypothetical situation. Let’s say there is this fella who has a '38 Plymouth moredoor This fella is a rodder at heart but certainly not opposed to building a go fast custom. He leans towards traditional styling which is evident by the crowd he is asking for advice/opinion, but he probably is going to run a hood if you catch my drift.

He has 3 engines at his disposal all need freshening but they are basically built, that is to say they perhaps need rings and a valve grind. All make zot in the 400-450 hp range. But this fella is on the fence as far as to which engine he is going to stuff in his engine bay.

Engine # 1 is a 2x4 small block Chevy, just because almost everyone has one and we shouldn’t leave it out of the mix. This is probably the least “traditional” because of the way it is screwed together but on the outside you wouldn’t notice.

Engine #2 is a 2x4 Olds 394, just because it seems to be overlooked by most of us. It has some history and is probably the least street worthy of the 3 engines in question; pretty lumpy cam major port work etc.

Engine # 3 is a Ford FE. A factory 427 headed 390; it’s been mildly tweaked using mostly readily available factory pieces. Also chosen not because of being an oddity but because although they are common place in Galaxies they are pretty much overlooked as traditional hotrod fodder.

Ok this is where you come in; you are now consulting on said fella’s build. You no doubt have a preference and a reason why you prefer a specific option. Now please bear in mind that even though I like a little drama now and then that The Boss doesn’t so let’s not spend too much time talking about anyone’s family tree and the like; maybe the occasional helping someone not to suffocate but not to extreme OK?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!;)

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Get it titled and running (all the non fun work to most prospective buyers) slap a For Sale (or trade) sign on it and start driving it daily. Take it to some cruise nights, Pomona. List it on Craigslist.

Sell/trade it for a project or cool parts that interest you. If the original drivetrain is junk, buy a wrecked Mopar as a powertrain donor.

To most, i's an undesireable ugly duckling, but like a lot of late 30's-early 60's 4 dr.'s, it coukd serve as a budgeted family man's entry level "old car" to work on, and take for a spin. Outsiders always complain that they can't afford to enter Hot rodding, but they're thinking hammered 3 windows and Roadsters.

25. It's a free car that looks to be complete and in good shape. Bring it home, stick a battery on it, see if it will run, and put it on eBay, in the classified here, whatever. Put the proceeds into whatever you're building. Then go back and tell the people who gave it to you what it was worth. Unless they could have more, then wait until they're cleaned out.

We just got offered a swap of a '36 Plymouth tudor someone turned into a pickup during WWII. Body is cut off behind the doors straight across just over the tops of the back fenders and the deck lid gone, and looks like the cab back from some pickup fitted to the B-posts. Looks like hell. But you could do that, too -

26. Just build it!,, HRP

[​IMG]

27. I sure wouldn't have myself. ;)

Here is a pretty crappy photoshop to give you some idea what I am talking about.

The first is what you are looking at and the second is what I'm thinking.

Attached Files:

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Pork&Beaner & HotrodPrimer have two good approaches, depending on your bank account. But it really depends on whether this is the project for you, or whether you'd really rather put your time, energy and dough into another car. If the latter, go with the prevailing advice: Get it running and shop it around 'til somebody who'd love it gladly takes it off your hands -- leaving you with capital for the car you really want.

YOU did a great thing rescuing it. Sumbitch rolls and looks to have straight, generally rust-free metal, so there's potential there. Much as I love the Hornet engines, I personally would keep it MoPar. Beaner's right, change its profile as far as possible, and it would make for a cool cruiser; and the right drive train in there could make it quite a sleeper on the street. Natch, wheels, rubber & suspension according to the concept you decide on.

Sure, it's no coupe or roadster, but I've seen families travel in comfort to shows in these big-ass sedans, and all their gear fits in the cavernous trunk.

Again, glad you saved a nearly 75-year-old rock with a solid Briggs body. I bet it'll find its way back to the highways and streets, one form or another. Heck, if I were in the next state instead of on the far side of the Mississippi, I'd take it off your hands in a heartbeat! LOL Good luck!

29. I agree with build it, but stick about a 37 or so Packard grill shell on it.

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I've seen this done and it's actually a really cool way to use a more door.