Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 38 chevy pu question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Apr 3, 2017.

1. nunattax

nunattax

im not far from wiring my project 38 truck.doing the small jobs that wont get done when its running.ill be using the foot dimmer switch under the floor.the switch seems very exposed to the elements so ill be making a cover to protect the switch and wiring.question is was a cover fitted from new and if so what does it look like.pic shows my first attempt.ill be getting improve the shape the next time

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I've had many many a right with the factory dimmer on the floor (where it belongs) and I've never seen a cover and they usually last a long time.
    Just make sure you don't trap water (condensation) in there and make it worse than being exposed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. nunattax

nunattax

thanx for the advice .pic wont upload probably get six when it uploads.i wont seal it completely any condensation should drain out near the Apillar

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

None fitted new, switches would outlast the rest of the truck.

45_70Sharps likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

There are far more important things to worry about....

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax

not worrying wondering.

7. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

If you really want to take the extra (unnecessary) step to seal it up, you could make a permatex blue cocoon around it.
    I get it that being somewhere that is probably very wet and has plenty of salty corrosion you want to be sure, but I lived along the coast most of my life and the dimmer switch is about 1000 times as durable as any modern car electronics.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Some time around 1960, Chevy started putting the dimmer switch inside the car. It really wasn't that much of a problem, before then.

One thing I've done to clean up the firewall/floor and move the switch inside, is to use a switch from the 60s in an older car or truck.

9. nunattax

nunattax

pity I cant upload a pic at the moment.what ive made is a splash panel,not sealing it up keeping the worst of the weather away from it cant do any harm.

10. I mounted mine on the inside , screwed to the floor with the wires coming down the firewall to the switch. Completely inside the car. This pic. is on my 29 roadster and you can see not much room, you should have plenty of room on the 38 though . The kick panel is loose in this pic, I actually had about 2- 3 inches between the panel and the switch.. air cleaners &  brake pedal 008.jpg

11. nunattax

nunattax

that will work.ive two switches so I wont be buying another,i bought a stock replacement and then a painless one so ive got a spare..whats the throttle pedal bud

12. trollst

trollst
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Move the switch off the floor, mount it under the dash on the left by the kick panel, it's invisible and hand operated, it's what I do.

13. nunattax

nunattax

panel dimmer panel 2 001.JPG dimmer panel 2 002.JPG
    im going to do the same for the passenger side,no wiring there but it will keep dirt out of the hollow section.when the floor goes back down these areas will be forgotten about.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  14. good looking panel but if your driving in weather [tornados?] that you think could effect that spot you have more problems to worry about. when the trucks together it would be hard to spray that with a garden hose.
    i like the look of it.

15. nunattax

nunattax

well I don't think ill be out in tornados but hitting a puddle at 60mph would have water flying in all directions underneath

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax

prevention is better than cure in my book

17. squirrel

squirrel

you'd love my Chevy II....no inner fenders, the wiring is all on the firewall, the voltage regulator is right in line with the driver side front tire. Been driven in rain a lot, and strangely it all still works fine.

302GMC and 45_70Sharps like this.
  18. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

It doesn't make sense to me to take a very reliable switch that was designed to effortlessly operate with your foot and move it up to the dash to use by hand.
    It was designed so you could use it hands free while coming around a corner in the rain with oncoming traffic and never miss a beat.
    Those things are not bothered by a bit of weather.
    Old brach trucks would dissolve from rust and if you replaced one of those switches during the life of the truck, that was the exception.

19. nunattax

nunattax

ive just had a look at the 10 weather forecast for siera vista az.not a drop of rain in sight for the next ten days.sunny,sunny mostly sunny.ive established that the switch is a reliable unit and that your chevy doesnt see much rain either

20. squirrel

squirrel

Check the rain records for the midwest US when I drove from AZ to WI in September 2015 :)

Nothing like being on the coast up north, though!

21. nunattax

nunattax

passenger side second panel 002.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.