Register now to get rid of these ads!

371 Pistons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rsmcewood, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

So I know there are a lot of smart/seasoned folks out there to ask so here goes,
    371 Pistons from a 1960 371 are they dimensionally the same as say 57-58 if we dont take into account the compression ratio. Second ? is where is the best place to get made in the USA pistons.
    Thanks for the assist all
    Rich

2. If you want to know anything about the early Olds engine contact Tony Lombardi at Ross Racing Engines
    330 544 4466.

3. triumph 1

triumph 1

Yeah, as far as I know, Tony @ Ross racing engines is the only supplier for early olds American made forged pistons. I just bought a set from him for my 324 & they are high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Thanks, have that number was just curious if anyone knew off hand, I have a 1960 371 that I am contemplating building and not a lot of machine shops around here seem to know squat about the engine, like how big can you bore the block... to a 394 and use those slugs? I have a set of them sitting here with a three speed manual and all the 60 pedals, linkages...looking for a 2dr HT 60 to build ... currently have a 4dr thats a blast.

5. sdluck

sdluck

Tony@Ross racing engines is a first class guy,they build race motors,hot rod and have a dyno

6. A 1960 371" is basically a small bore 394. ( two engine sizes that year ) Block was changed in 59' - 64' from the 57'-58' version. So you could bore that block to 394" and use your pistons.

7. Willie McCoy

Willie McCoy

I have a 58, 371 completely torn apart and should have a spare set of pistons from a 394 I can measure up. As far as I remember all the pins were the same size.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s an air pump and not rocket :) science. A good blue Motors Manual and a few hop up books about Oldsmobile can make assembly easy. I think Joe Mondelli wrote a few. Unless your building a killer a good valve job is a must with a little pocket blending. I would make sure I could get adjustable rockers or understand the geometry for the non-adjustable rockers to get Smith to make the correct length push rods.

I second Ross pistons they just finished a set for my sons .060” GMC 302 and they were perfect. If you can’t handle the $$$ there are cast available from places like Egge but they aren’t inexpensive either. Good luck

9. I hope that after 2 years that the OP has it figured out but you never know:)

rsmcewood likes this.
  10. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Oh I figured it out...394 20201108_124904.jpeg

saltracer219 and jimmy six like this.