Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 Zephyr build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wensum Valley Rods, Jul 28, 2012.

1. SIC-E-NUF Kustoms

SIC-E-NUF Kustoms
    from Salinas Ca

Bad ass car no matter what is all I got to say.Just to even have one is a big accomplishment.Prop to you bro n good luck with the build.I was Lucky to find a 37' in great shape.But I must admit I did have to pay an arm and a leg & almost my right nutt.Lol But I can i got it.Good luck bro!

2. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

I have been putting in a few hours over the xmas break, and have made some pretty good progress. I have the front inner fenders about 90% welded up, the lower bulkhead cut out and re welded, the front floor pans and associated kick panel supports fabricated and welded in , the majority of the boot floor welded in and the spare wheel well/boot floor 90% fabricated today and almost ready to weld in.
    It's really beginning to look like a car again now, should be able to roll it over soon and dress up the underneath and paint it up. Then it can start going back together. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

looking good paul missed you today, well have to get together soon to see it in person

4. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Hey Doug, didn't realise you were both going today mate, you should have followed the others back here. Your welcome round any time mate, I don't go back to work until wednesday if you have any time free.

5. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Finally got the boot floor welded in tonight. The panel that I fabricated the day before yesterday was a pretty much exact replica of the original, but when I tried the spare wheel on the carrier before I final welded the panel in the deck lid sat proud of the body by about 4". The only thing I can think of is the carrier I have is a sedan one and the coupe ones are a different profile.
    I spent all day bashing and wheeling the floor pan that I made yesterday altering it so that the spare wheel carrier could lay further into the floor allowing the deck lid to close without hitting the spare wheel.
    That's the floor completely welded in now, with just a few welds to be cleaned up before I can get it into primer.
    Strange that I actually finished welding tonight the very first bits that I made for it several months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul.

oneratfink57 likes this.
  6. good metal work, keep the updates and pictures coming, very nice so far.....

7. It is one thing to tackle a small coupe or roadster in that shape but to take on this challange is incredable. I just saw this for the first time and wondered how far this project would go, 7 pages later and my hat is off to you. This is why I like the HAMB.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Ruler!

Incredible job, Paul. I'm proud to know you!

9. Uptown83

Uptown83

impressive work so far. Most would not tackle such a rough body. Great job!

10. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Hey Ernie, very kind words sir. I thank you.

Good to hear from you. Have a Happy New Year mate.

Thanks for all the positive comments guts, very much appreciated.
    Not totally happy with the spare wheel panel, it has some hammer marks now that won't come out with the limited tools I have. I over worked it really. I would have re done it but it's the last of my sheet steel and as it's the holidays nowhere is open. It won't show once the paint is on and the spare wheel is in so not so bad.

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You are doing a fantastic job on this Zephyr coupe!

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

awesome!!! Wonderful job you're doing there!

13. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

lovely lovin the westergard stance your going with. my pops has a 37 and they are amazing looking cars

14. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Hey flyin flattie, any pics of pops 37 ? You are dead right they are definitely amazing looking cars. I have looked round mine before I stripped it and I only found a couple of things that could be done to improve the shape (in my opinion). I intend to round of the door corners and I am going the alter the rear tailpan when I make it so that it follows the curve of the rear bumper rather than finishing straight, and that's it the rest is perfect from the factory.
    I got the floors in zinc primer tonight, looking much better and when the seam sealer arrives I can get it all sealed in ready for final paint.
    The paint is the orange colour in the pics, but shows a brown colour in the ones taken with no flash. I kind of like the colour of them.
    The paint also looks a bit thin on the ground in some of the pics, they are just dull patches as it was starting to dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

15. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Hey flyin flattie, any pics of pops 37 ? You are dead right they are definitely amazing looking cars. I have looked round mine before I stripped it and I only found a couple of things that could be done to improve the shape (in my opinion). I intend to round of the door corners and I am going the alter the rear tailpan when I make it so that it follows the curve of the rear bumper rather than finishing straight, and that's it the rest is perfect from the factory.
    I got the floors in zinc primer tonight, looking much better and when the seam sealer arrives I can get it all sealed in ready for final paint.
    The paint is the orange colour in the pics, but shows a brown colour in the ones taken with no flash. I kind of like the colour of them.
    The paint also looks a bit thin on the ground in some of the pics, they are just dull patches as it was starting to dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

'37 coupe with it's nose stuck out....

[​IMG]

17. Smokey2

Smokey2

Man, Oh Man !!!!!
    You surely have your work "Cut Out" , But it's Still Gonna' Be A '37 Zipper Coupe.

Always Loved the Lincolns................Oh, Which side was "The Up Creek Side " ??
    Looking forward to following the Build. Good Pics, Thanks

Smoke

18. dirt42

dirt42

That's cool and you have lots of talent. I'm subscribed since i want to see it through.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Love the progress so far, awesome work!

20. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

we are not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Floors look great. Very nice fab work.

22. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

just Awesome work.

23. Just found, Subscribed. So its primer first then seal the seams? I always wondered which should come first. All this metal forming is rubber mallet and a cupped out stump then clean up with an english wheel? Stick welding?

24. chrisp

chrisp

Always primer first then sealer. If the sealer isn't layed correctly (it' s always possible to have a void somewhere) or when aging if it lifts or cracks, there is no bare metal anywhere.

25. Thanks! Love your work & build.

26. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

awsome work and cool build.

27. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Like Chris said, it's best to prime first and then seal , I have used zinc phosphate primer which gives very good protection from rust and adheres to the new steel extremely well.
    The curves in the metal were formed mainly with a small selection of hammers, dollies and the anvil and stake and then the curves were finished on the wheeling machine. It would be better to use wooden or nylon bossing mallets but I haven't got any yet. The swages/beads were rolled out on the bead roller.
    The welding has all been done with my mig welder.

Paul.

28. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Hey Lowcoe, just checked out and subscribed to your 36 build thread. Great work and vision. Keep at it, it's looking good.

Paul.

29. Thanks Paul your work is an inspiration. Everything I do I probably will have to do 3 times to approach many of the other Hambers to whose builds I'm subscribed but I must say working in the garage is pretty high up on my list of life's pleasures.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad